Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    3-Year-Old Boy Struck In Face, Abandoned At Bus Stop In Surrey

    3-Year-Old Boy Struck In Face, Abandoned At Bus Stop In Surrey
    SURREY, B.C. — A three-year-old boy who police allege was slapped and abandoned by his father at a bus stop was "very distraught," says the woman who took care of him for hours in a nearby liquor store in Surrey, B.C.

    3-Year-Old Boy Struck In Face, Abandoned At Bus Stop In Surrey

    Russia vows to retaliate against Canadian sanctions

    Russia vows to retaliate against Canadian sanctions
    Russia vowed to take retaliatory measures against fresh US and Canadian sanctions, calling the moves an evidence that the West lacks interest in settling the Ukraine crisis....

    Russia vows to retaliate against Canadian sanctions

    Mounties investigating after toddler found alone at Surrey bus stop

    Mounties investigating after toddler found alone at Surrey bus stop
    SURREY, B.C. — The RCMP are investigating after a toddler was left on his own at a Surrey, B.C. bus stop Saturday morning.

    Mounties investigating after toddler found alone at Surrey bus stop

    Desjardins says Hansen looks OK after collapsing on bench and leaving game

    Desjardins says Hansen looks OK after collapsing on bench and leaving game
    Vancouver Canucks coach Willie Desjardins says forward Jannik Hansen looks to be OK after he appeared to collapse on the bench following a hit during Saturday's game.

    Desjardins says Hansen looks OK after collapsing on bench and leaving game

    Canadian man shot by U.S. border guards after pointing gun at them: officials

    Canadian man shot by U.S. border guards after pointing gun at them: officials
    DETROIT — The U.S. border agency says a Canadian man was shot after allegedly pointing a handgun at guards at the Ambassador Bridge crossing between Windsor, Ont., and Detroit.

    Canadian man shot by U.S. border guards after pointing gun at them: officials

    Slain soldiers Cirillo and Vincent named Canada's Newsmaker of the Year

    Slain soldiers Cirillo and Vincent named Canada's Newsmaker of the Year
    TORONTO — Two Canadians killed in cold blood on home soil for simply wearing a soldier's uniform have been selected the country's Newsmaker of the Year for 2014.

    Slain soldiers Cirillo and Vincent named Canada's Newsmaker of the Year