Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2025 04:29 PM
  • Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

A human rights lawyer whose tenure as head of the Canadian Human Rights Commission ended before it really began is suing a Conservative politician, a media personality and the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs for defamation.

At a press conference Thursday, Birju Dattani spoke about lawsuits he has filed against Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman, media personality Ezra Levant and the Jewish advocacy group Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs over statements made about him on social media last year.

One of the defendants has called Dattani's claims "baseless."

Dattani was named chief commissioner by Justice Minister Arif Virani in June 2024 and was to become the first Muslim and racialized person to hold the title.

But he resigned just before he was to start the position in August after the CIJA and others said he had made anti-Israel comments, including some under a different name, that were not flagged during the vetting process.

The CIJA said in a June 27 statement on its website that Dattani's appointment was "unacceptable." The organization said "social media posts and comments from Mr. Dattani reveal a troubling past of anti-Israel and even antisemitic positions."

Virani tapped a law firm to investigate the complaints and file a report. The report said the investigation found no indication that Dattani held antisemitic beliefs but concluded that he omitted the name "Mujahid Dattani" from his background check form.

In a letter to Virani, Dattani denied that his failure to disclose the name was intentional and said he was only asked for his given name on the application.

After receiving the investigation report, Virani said in a letter to Dattani that the results raised serious concerns about his candour during the appointment process.

Dattani claims the three defendants continued to attack him online after the investigation concluded.

In August 2024, Lantsman took to X to call for a probe into how Dattani was hired. In another social media post, she called him an "antisemite."

Levant, the founder of Rebel News, has called Dattani a "Hamas sympathizer" and an "Islamic extremist" on social media.

Dattani has asked for general damages — $500,000 against Lantsman, $650,000 against Levant and $450,000 against the CIJA — aggravated damages in the amount of $150,000 each from Lantsman, Levant and the CIJA, and special damages in an amount to be determined before trial. He also has asked for declarations stating that the defendants defamed him.

In a news release, Dattani said he became the subject of "an online and media smear campaign, which grossly mischaracterized him as an antisemitic, terrorist supporter" shortly after his appointment. The release said that, despite the investigation's conclusions, "the vicious online attacks continued by those named in the lawsuits."

Lantsman's office said in a statement issued to The Canadian Press that "the controversy surrounding the appointment of Mr. Dattani by the Liberal government is a matter of public record. Ms. Lantsman will vigorously defend herself against these baseless claims."

Richard Marceau, vice president of external affairs and general counsel at the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, said in a media statement that "we received the Statement of Claim and are reviewing. What we said is sourced and factual."

Ezra Levant said in a statement that the lawsuit is "an attempt to silence legitimate political criticism of a public person on a matter of public interest."

"Dattani’s own words and actions are what have destroyed his reputation, and that’s why the Liberals cut him loose — not our criticism of it," Levant said. 

At a press conference on Parliament Hill Thursday, Dattani said the "campaign" against him has caused "serious and potentially irreparable damage" to his reputation.

"It has impacted my mental and physical health. It has also affected my family and loved ones," he said. "I'm taking this step today to reclaim my reputation and to seek accountability for the damage that has been done to me and those closest to me."

Dattani said he is crowdsourcing funds to help pay for the legal process.

He said he will continue to fight against antisemitism, Islamophobia, anti-Palestinian racism and all forms of hate and bigotry.

Dattani's lawyer Alexi Wood said there has not yet been an official response from the defendants.

She said he could not speak to whether any future legal action could be taken against the federal government.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. starvation death inquest hears victim's emaciated state, poor living conditions

B.C. starvation death inquest hears victim's emaciated state, poor living conditions
Florence Girard was so small when she died that she "looked like a child" in her casket, her sister told a British Columbia coroner's inquest into the death of the woman. Girard died in 2018 weighing only about 50 pounds, and Astrid Dahl, who was caring for Girard as part of a program for people with developmental disabilities, was convicted in 2022 of failing to provide the necessities of life in the case.

B.C. starvation death inquest hears victim's emaciated state, poor living conditions

Freeland to announce Liberal leadership bid within the next week

Freeland to announce Liberal leadership bid within the next week
Freeland's first policy promise will be to impose dollar-for-dollar tariffs on U.S. imports to match the cost of tariffs U.S. president-elect Donald Trump has vowed to impose on Canada. Trump has promised to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all imports from Canada and Mexico on Jan. 20, the day he is inaugurated.

Freeland to announce Liberal leadership bid within the next week

Police investigating after man injured in fire outside Vancouver SkyTrain station

Police investigating after man injured in fire outside Vancouver SkyTrain station
Police in Vancouver are looking for witnesses after a man was injured in a fire outside a SkyTrain station in the city. They say the 40-year-old man was found by a driver around 2 a.m. on Sunday outside the Main Street-Science World station.

Police investigating after man injured in fire outside Vancouver SkyTrain station

François-Philippe Champagne to announce Tuesday if he's running for leader

François-Philippe Champagne to announce Tuesday if he's running for leader
Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne plans to reveal Tuesday whether he will run in the upcoming party leadership race to replace Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Champagne is expected to share his decision during a talk at the Canadian Club in Toronto hosted by business journalist Amanda Lang, a source close to the minister said Monday.

François-Philippe Champagne to announce Tuesday if he's running for leader

Intelligence task force to monitor Liberal leadership race

Intelligence task force to monitor Liberal leadership race
The Liberal party's leadership race will be monitored by Canada's elections intelligence task force for signs of foreign interference. National security adviser Nathalie Drouin says the Security and Intelligence Threats to Elections Task Force will be watching the race.

Intelligence task force to monitor Liberal leadership race

B.C. doc reflects on treating teen with avian flu for two months

B.C. doc reflects on treating teen with avian flu for two months
A British Columbia doctor who treated a 13-year-old avian flu patient says the case has made him concerned about the potential for more human H5N1 infections. While the patient was recently discharged from hospital with her case deemed rare, the two-month ordeal is being examined to better understand the path of avian flu from wild birds and poultry to humans, who get very sick. 

B.C. doc reflects on treating teen with avian flu for two months