Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2025 04:29 PM
  • Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

A human rights lawyer whose tenure as head of the Canadian Human Rights Commission ended before it really began is suing a Conservative politician, a media personality and the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs for defamation.

At a press conference Thursday, Birju Dattani spoke about lawsuits he has filed against Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman, media personality Ezra Levant and the Jewish advocacy group Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs over statements made about him on social media last year.

One of the defendants has called Dattani's claims "baseless."

Dattani was named chief commissioner by Justice Minister Arif Virani in June 2024 and was to become the first Muslim and racialized person to hold the title.

But he resigned just before he was to start the position in August after the CIJA and others said he had made anti-Israel comments, including some under a different name, that were not flagged during the vetting process.

The CIJA said in a June 27 statement on its website that Dattani's appointment was "unacceptable." The organization said "social media posts and comments from Mr. Dattani reveal a troubling past of anti-Israel and even antisemitic positions."

Virani tapped a law firm to investigate the complaints and file a report. The report said the investigation found no indication that Dattani held antisemitic beliefs but concluded that he omitted the name "Mujahid Dattani" from his background check form.

In a letter to Virani, Dattani denied that his failure to disclose the name was intentional and said he was only asked for his given name on the application.

After receiving the investigation report, Virani said in a letter to Dattani that the results raised serious concerns about his candour during the appointment process.

Dattani claims the three defendants continued to attack him online after the investigation concluded.

In August 2024, Lantsman took to X to call for a probe into how Dattani was hired. In another social media post, she called him an "antisemite."

Levant, the founder of Rebel News, has called Dattani a "Hamas sympathizer" and an "Islamic extremist" on social media.

Dattani has asked for general damages — $500,000 against Lantsman, $650,000 against Levant and $450,000 against the CIJA — aggravated damages in the amount of $150,000 each from Lantsman, Levant and the CIJA, and special damages in an amount to be determined before trial. He also has asked for declarations stating that the defendants defamed him.

In a news release, Dattani said he became the subject of "an online and media smear campaign, which grossly mischaracterized him as an antisemitic, terrorist supporter" shortly after his appointment. The release said that, despite the investigation's conclusions, "the vicious online attacks continued by those named in the lawsuits."

Lantsman's office said in a statement issued to The Canadian Press that "the controversy surrounding the appointment of Mr. Dattani by the Liberal government is a matter of public record. Ms. Lantsman will vigorously defend herself against these baseless claims."

Richard Marceau, vice president of external affairs and general counsel at the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, said in a media statement that "we received the Statement of Claim and are reviewing. What we said is sourced and factual."

Ezra Levant said in a statement that the lawsuit is "an attempt to silence legitimate political criticism of a public person on a matter of public interest."

"Dattani’s own words and actions are what have destroyed his reputation, and that’s why the Liberals cut him loose — not our criticism of it," Levant said. 

At a press conference on Parliament Hill Thursday, Dattani said the "campaign" against him has caused "serious and potentially irreparable damage" to his reputation.

"It has impacted my mental and physical health. It has also affected my family and loved ones," he said. "I'm taking this step today to reclaim my reputation and to seek accountability for the damage that has been done to me and those closest to me."

Dattani said he is crowdsourcing funds to help pay for the legal process.

He said he will continue to fight against antisemitism, Islamophobia, anti-Palestinian racism and all forms of hate and bigotry.

Dattani's lawyer Alexi Wood said there has not yet been an official response from the defendants.

She said he could not speak to whether any future legal action could be taken against the federal government.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberal leadership race: A look at the potential candidates

Liberal leadership race: A look at the potential candidates
Candidates must declare by Jan. 23 and pay a $350,000 fee to enter the race. The winner will be named on March 9. Here's a quick look at who's in and who's out.

Liberal leadership race: A look at the potential candidates

Thousands of school support workers off the job in Edmonton, nearby communities

Thousands of school support workers off the job in Edmonton, nearby communities
Education support workers began gathering under pitch-black pre-dawn skies in Edmonton and some nearby communities as a strike got underway.  The workers, bundled in coats and scarves and gripping signs, are calling for what they term fair wages from the Edmonton Public School Board and Sturgeon Public School Division. 

Thousands of school support workers off the job in Edmonton, nearby communities

Helicopter team rescues unconscious skier after fall at B.C.'s Mt. Cain

Helicopter team rescues unconscious skier after fall at B.C.'s Mt. Cain
A search and rescue team on Vancouver Island says it rescued a man who suffered a "serious fall" while skiing at Mt. Cain this weekend. Comox Valley Search & Rescue says in a post to social media that members responded to rescue the unconscious 35-year-old from the mountain's west bowl on Saturday.

Helicopter team rescues unconscious skier after fall at B.C.'s Mt. Cain

Canada, G7 leaders, denounce Venezuela's suppression of political opposition

Canada, G7 leaders, denounce Venezuela's suppression of political opposition
Canada is joining its closest allies in denouncing Venezuela's crackdown on democracy — the first G7 foreign policy statement since Canada began chairing the group this year. Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro was inaugurated Friday for a third six-year term, after a July election widely seen as illegitimate.

Canada, G7 leaders, denounce Venezuela's suppression of political opposition

Feds issue new COVID vaccine guidance, says provinces now responsible for buying them

Feds issue new COVID vaccine guidance, says provinces now responsible for buying them
Federal funding for COVID-19 vaccines will stop this year and the provinces and territories will be responsible for buying them, as well as determining the timing of the vaccinations, the Public Health Agency of Canada says. The agency published the information online on Friday, along with the National Advisory Committee on Immunization's COVID-19 vaccine guidance for 2025 through to the summer of 2026. 

Feds issue new COVID vaccine guidance, says provinces now responsible for buying them

Ottawa signs $40M deal with Saskatchewan to offer drug coverage for rare diseases

Ottawa signs $40M deal with Saskatchewan to offer drug coverage for rare diseases
The Saskatchewan and federal governments have announced an agreement for coverage of select new drugs for rare diseases. Ottawa says the plan is to invest more than $40 million to cover three drugs that treat certain cancers and a urinary issue. 

Ottawa signs $40M deal with Saskatchewan to offer drug coverage for rare diseases