Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2025 04:29 PM
  • Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

A human rights lawyer whose tenure as head of the Canadian Human Rights Commission ended before it really began is suing a Conservative politician, a media personality and the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs for defamation.

At a press conference Thursday, Birju Dattani spoke about lawsuits he has filed against Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman, media personality Ezra Levant and the Jewish advocacy group Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs over statements made about him on social media last year.

One of the defendants has called Dattani's claims "baseless."

Dattani was named chief commissioner by Justice Minister Arif Virani in June 2024 and was to become the first Muslim and racialized person to hold the title.

But he resigned just before he was to start the position in August after the CIJA and others said he had made anti-Israel comments, including some under a different name, that were not flagged during the vetting process.

The CIJA said in a June 27 statement on its website that Dattani's appointment was "unacceptable." The organization said "social media posts and comments from Mr. Dattani reveal a troubling past of anti-Israel and even antisemitic positions."

Virani tapped a law firm to investigate the complaints and file a report. The report said the investigation found no indication that Dattani held antisemitic beliefs but concluded that he omitted the name "Mujahid Dattani" from his background check form.

In a letter to Virani, Dattani denied that his failure to disclose the name was intentional and said he was only asked for his given name on the application.

After receiving the investigation report, Virani said in a letter to Dattani that the results raised serious concerns about his candour during the appointment process.

Dattani claims the three defendants continued to attack him online after the investigation concluded.

In August 2024, Lantsman took to X to call for a probe into how Dattani was hired. In another social media post, she called him an "antisemite."

Levant, the founder of Rebel News, has called Dattani a "Hamas sympathizer" and an "Islamic extremist" on social media.

Dattani has asked for general damages — $500,000 against Lantsman, $650,000 against Levant and $450,000 against the CIJA — aggravated damages in the amount of $150,000 each from Lantsman, Levant and the CIJA, and special damages in an amount to be determined before trial. He also has asked for declarations stating that the defendants defamed him.

In a news release, Dattani said he became the subject of "an online and media smear campaign, which grossly mischaracterized him as an antisemitic, terrorist supporter" shortly after his appointment. The release said that, despite the investigation's conclusions, "the vicious online attacks continued by those named in the lawsuits."

Lantsman's office said in a statement issued to The Canadian Press that "the controversy surrounding the appointment of Mr. Dattani by the Liberal government is a matter of public record. Ms. Lantsman will vigorously defend herself against these baseless claims."

Richard Marceau, vice president of external affairs and general counsel at the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, said in a media statement that "we received the Statement of Claim and are reviewing. What we said is sourced and factual."

Ezra Levant said in a statement that the lawsuit is "an attempt to silence legitimate political criticism of a public person on a matter of public interest."

"Dattani’s own words and actions are what have destroyed his reputation, and that’s why the Liberals cut him loose — not our criticism of it," Levant said. 

At a press conference on Parliament Hill Thursday, Dattani said the "campaign" against him has caused "serious and potentially irreparable damage" to his reputation.

"It has impacted my mental and physical health. It has also affected my family and loved ones," he said. "I'm taking this step today to reclaim my reputation and to seek accountability for the damage that has been done to me and those closest to me."

Dattani said he is crowdsourcing funds to help pay for the legal process.

He said he will continue to fight against antisemitism, Islamophobia, anti-Palestinian racism and all forms of hate and bigotry.

Dattani's lawyer Alexi Wood said there has not yet been an official response from the defendants.

She said he could not speak to whether any future legal action could be taken against the federal government.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Opposition NDP demands Alberta government act ahead of school support worker strike

Opposition NDP demands Alberta government act ahead of school support worker strike
More than 3,000 staff, from education assistants to cafeteria workers, employed by the Edmonton Public School Board and the Sturgeon Public School Division could hit picket lines on Monday, joining counterparts in Fort McMurray in demanding fair wages.

Opposition NDP demands Alberta government act ahead of school support worker strike

Analysts expect jobless rate edged up in December

Analysts expect jobless rate edged up in December
Statistics Canada will release the country's job report for December this morning. November saw Canada's unemployment rate rise to 6.8 per cent — the highest jobless rate since January 2017 outside of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Analysts expect jobless rate edged up in December

Human rights group asks Canada to join U.S. and declare another genocide in Sudan

Human rights group asks Canada to join U.S. and declare another genocide in Sudan
A prominent human rights group is calling on Ottawa to follow the U.S. and declare that recent actions by Sudan's paramilitary force amount to genocide. The Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights accused the Rapid Support Forces of carrying out a genocide in the Darfur region months ago, during Sudan's brutal civil war.

Human rights group asks Canada to join U.S. and declare another genocide in Sudan

Mélanie Joly will not run for Liberal party leadership, source confirms

Mélanie Joly will not run for Liberal party leadership, source confirms
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is bowing out of the race to replace Justin Trudeau as Liberal leader — making her the second cabinet minister to choose their current job over a chance to become prime minister.

Mélanie Joly will not run for Liberal party leadership, source confirms

Yvonne Jones, longtime Liberal MP for Labrador, retiring from federal politics

Yvonne Jones, longtime Liberal MP for Labrador, retiring from federal politics
Yvonne Jones, Liberal member of Parliament for Labrador, says she won't be running in the next federal election. Jones has been public about her past battles with breast cancer, and she told a crowd in Happy Valley-Goose Bay that she is cancer-free, healthy and ready for new adventures.

Yvonne Jones, longtime Liberal MP for Labrador, retiring from federal politics

Quebec sending more water bombers to California after aircraft struck by drone

Quebec sending more water bombers to California after aircraft struck by drone
Quebec said Friday it will send two more firefighting aircraft to California, a day after one of the province’s water bombers collided with a drone while battling the wildfires ravaging the Los Angeles area. The extra bombers will arrive following an incident that grounded one of the two planes from Quebec that had been assisting in California's wildfire fight.

Quebec sending more water bombers to California after aircraft struck by drone