Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Vancouver mayor Philip Owen dies at 88

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Oct, 2021 01:35 PM
  • Former Vancouver mayor Philip Owen dies at 88

VANCOUVER - Former Vancouver mayor Philip Owen, a driving force behind North America's first life-saving supervised drug injection clinic, has died.

Owen was 88.

A statement from his family says he died peacefully on Sept. 30 from complications related to Parkinson's disease.

Owen served in various elected roles in Vancouver from 1978 to 2002, including the last nine years as the city's mayor.

He was one of the first champions of the four pillars drug strategy, an approach to addiction that emphasizes prevention, treatment, enforcement and harm reduction, and his work led to the creation of Insite, North America's first supervised injection site.

The family says memorial and funeral plans for the husband of 63 years, father, grandfather and great-grandfather will be announced later.

Christian Owen says in the statement that the family has always been proud of his father.

"He loved this city, every part of it, and you could see this in how he found the right balance, even when it came to the toughest issues. He was a gentleman and a devoted Vancouverite, right to the end."

Owen was made a Member of the Order of Canada in 2008, and last year, the St. Paul's Hospital Foundation and BC Centre on Substance Use established the Philip Owen professorship in addiction medicine at the University of B.C. in his honour.

Owen was the son of Walter Owen, who served as lieutenant-governor of B.C. in the 1970s.

Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart called Owen a gentle and decent man, whose time as mayor will be remembered for his courage and foresight.

His work saved thousands of lives, Stewart said in a statement on Friday.

"Though a challenging idea at the time, mayor Owen learned from talking with those living with addiction that harm reduction was the only way to address the overdose crisis of the mid-1990s and early 2000s."

Stewart said the city wouldn't be taking the steps it is now with safe supply, plans for decriminalization, and expanded treatment and support for those facing mental health and addiction challenges if it was not for Owen’s leadership.

"He will be missed."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. eyeing Alert Ready system for wildfires, heat

B.C. eyeing Alert Ready system for wildfires, heat
Alert Ready is a Canada-wide system that allows government officials to issue public safety alerts through major television and radio broadcasters, as well as compatible wireless devices.

B.C. eyeing Alert Ready system for wildfires, heat

Sajjan told military to provide aide in Vancouver

Sajjan told military to provide aide in Vancouver
Sajjan also wanted the military to upgrade the position less than two months after Maj. Greg McCullough was hired because the minister wanted even more support in his home riding in Vancouver, according to the notes, though that request did not become reality.

Sajjan told military to provide aide in Vancouver

Church vandalism on the rise in Vancouver: police

Church vandalism on the rise in Vancouver: police
Sgt. Steve Addison says 13 incidents have occurred since early June involving threats to set fires, graffiti, paint splattering and rocks being thrown through windows at Christian churches in the city.

Church vandalism on the rise in Vancouver: police

89 COVID19 cases for Thursday

89 COVID19 cases for Thursday
80.2% (3,717,929) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 56.9% (2,636,377) have received their second dose.

89 COVID19 cases for Thursday

Police seek public’s help to identify robbery suspect

Police seek public’s help to identify robbery suspect
Over three consecutive days from July 15th to 17th, the suspect entered three separate businesses, made threats and demanded money.

Police seek public’s help to identify robbery suspect

Burnaby RCMP say vehicle collision results in 2 dead

Burnaby RCMP say vehicle collision results in 2 dead
This evening, at 5:20 p.m., Burnaby RCMP frontline officers responded to a report of a two-vehicle collision at Duthie Avenue and Montecito Drive. Two people have died as a result of this collision. There were no other injuries.

Burnaby RCMP say vehicle collision results in 2 dead