Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Feb, 2025 12:20 PM
  • Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

A spokeswoman for the BC Prosecution Service says charges have been stayed against two men in connection with a shooting last month in Fort Nelson, B.C., including one identified by police and in the courts as a gang leader.

RCMP previously said that Jarrod Bacon had been charged with aggravated assault, while another man named John Chasse faced an assault charge in connection with the Jan. 29 shooting that sent one person to hospital.

Court records show Bacon and Chasse, both 41 years old, have criminal histories dating back decades in B.C.

Bacon has been identified by police and in the courts as one of the leaders of the Red Scorpions — a drug trafficking group tied to a deadly gang war in the province.

Spokeswoman Damienne Darby says in a statement that the stay of proceedings against the men occurred on Feb. 14.

She says the service does not disclose the reasons for such decisions, but the prosecutor reviewed the investigative materials and charge approval standard was no longer met.

"In these circumstances a stay of proceedings is the appropriate course of action," she says in the statement.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged after prominent Calgary radio host attacked

Man charged after prominent Calgary radio host attacked
27 year old Dilpreet Singh from Calgary been charged with assaulting a prominent Calgary radio host, who alleges he was targeted because of the station's news reporting. Police say they received a call on Sept. 29 about an assault near a banquet hall in the Horizon neighbourhood.

Man charged after prominent Calgary radio host attacked

B.C. man gets prison sentence, fine for using fake names to buy guns in the U.S.

B.C. man gets prison sentence, fine for using fake names to buy guns in the U.S.
A U.S. District Court judge in Montana has sentenced a 27-year-old man from Kelowna, B.C., to 18 months in prison for using fake names to buy guns with the aim of selling them in Canada. A statement from the United States Attorney's Office in Montana says Haptei John Kozak pleaded guilty earlier this year to four counts of making false statements during a firearms transaction. 

B.C. man gets prison sentence, fine for using fake names to buy guns in the U.S.

Vancouver Island man charged in hit-and-run that killed 17-year-old girl

Vancouver Island man charged in hit-and-run that killed 17-year-old girl
A man from Vancouver Island is facing a criminal charge in connection to a fatal hit-and-run that killed a teenager earlier this year. The North Cowichan-Duncan RCMP says a 28-year-old man from the Cowichan Valley is accused of failing to stop at the scene of an accident causing death.

Vancouver Island man charged in hit-and-run that killed 17-year-old girl

Officers in B.C. make dozens of seizures of methamphetamine bound for Australia

Officers in B.C. make dozens of seizures of methamphetamine bound for Australia
Canadian border officers in British Columbia made 60 seizures of methamphetamine destined for export to Australia between March and August. The Canadian Border Services Agency says the seizures totalled nearly 400 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine and close to 1,300 litres of a liquid form of the drug.

Officers in B.C. make dozens of seizures of methamphetamine bound for Australia

Fire spreads to multiple Vancouver homes

Fire spreads to multiple Vancouver homes
It took several dozen firefighters more than seven hours to put out a fire that spread to multiple homes in East Vancouver last night. Vancouver Fire Chief Karen Fry says the blaze in the Strathcona neighbourhood had quickly spread from one home to four others nearby.

Fire spreads to multiple Vancouver homes

Suspect in violent assault needs to be ID'd

Suspect in violent assault needs to be ID'd
Police in Vancouver are asking for the public's help in identifying a suspect in a violent assault on a woman near Vancouver's Oakridge SkyTrain station. They say a woman in her 30s was walking near West 41st Avenue and Ontario Street at around 7:50 p-m Sunday when a man grabbed her from behind. 

Suspect in violent assault needs to be ID'd