Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Feb, 2025 12:20 PM
  • Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

A spokeswoman for the BC Prosecution Service says charges have been stayed against two men in connection with a shooting last month in Fort Nelson, B.C., including one identified by police and in the courts as a gang leader.

RCMP previously said that Jarrod Bacon had been charged with aggravated assault, while another man named John Chasse faced an assault charge in connection with the Jan. 29 shooting that sent one person to hospital.

Court records show Bacon and Chasse, both 41 years old, have criminal histories dating back decades in B.C.

Bacon has been identified by police and in the courts as one of the leaders of the Red Scorpions — a drug trafficking group tied to a deadly gang war in the province.

Spokeswoman Damienne Darby says in a statement that the stay of proceedings against the men occurred on Feb. 14.

She says the service does not disclose the reasons for such decisions, but the prosecutor reviewed the investigative materials and charge approval standard was no longer met.

"In these circumstances a stay of proceedings is the appropriate course of action," she says in the statement.

MORE National ARTICLES

'Most horrific thing': Events across Canada mark one year since Oct. 7 attacks

'Most horrific thing': Events across Canada mark one year since Oct. 7 attacks
The last time Tiferet Lapidot's family heard from her was in a phone call from the Supernova music festival near Israel's border with the Gaza Strip, where Hamas launched its brutal attack on Oct. 7, 2023.

'Most horrific thing': Events across Canada mark one year since Oct. 7 attacks

Cyber breach at B.C. First Nations Health Authority exposed TB tests, insurance data

Cyber breach at B.C. First Nations Health Authority exposed TB tests, insurance data
The First Nations Health Authority in British Columbia says online hackers gained access to an array of personal information including medical test results and insurance claims during a cybersecurity breach last May. The health authority says it has concluded its investigation and "the impact of the cybersecurity incident is not the same for everyone."

Cyber breach at B.C. First Nations Health Authority exposed TB tests, insurance data

Where will B.C.'s election be won? Even identifying the battlegrounds is tough call

Where will B.C.'s election be won? Even identifying the battlegrounds is tough call
The calculus of predicting an election and identifying its key battlegrounds is complex enough in any race, but observers of the British Columbia poll this month are facing a pair of unknown quantities that make the maths even more confounding.

Where will B.C.'s election be won? Even identifying the battlegrounds is tough call

With police at school, Vancouver Jewish community marks Oct. 7 with sadness, unease

With police at school, Vancouver Jewish community marks Oct. 7 with sadness, unease
Members of Vancouver's Jewish community say they are meeting the anniversary of the 2023 Hamas attack on Israel that triggered their ongoing war with profound sadness and ongoing unease. Multiple police and at least one police dog were posted outside the Talmud Torah School on Oak Street as parents dropped off their children.

With police at school, Vancouver Jewish community marks Oct. 7 with sadness, unease

Van filled with gasoline canisters is set ablaze outside Vancouver City Hall

Van filled with gasoline canisters is set ablaze outside Vancouver City Hall
Police in Vancouver say a man has been arrested after setting fire to a van filled with containers of gasoline outside City Hall.  They say in a post to social media that Vancouver Fire Rescue extinguished the blaze Sunday night and found about 100 litres of unburned gasoline in canisters inside the car. 

Van filled with gasoline canisters is set ablaze outside Vancouver City Hall

Langley restaurant destroyed in fire

Langley restaurant destroyed in fire
The executive director of the Downtown Langley Business Association says the community is rallying together after a Mexican restaurant in the city’s downtown core was destroyed by a massive fire on Saturday.  Teri James says it’s tragic to see the building in the city’s downtown core completely gone, impacting several businesses, including Viva Mexico restaurant. 

Langley restaurant destroyed in fire