Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Aug, 2023 11:50 AM
  • Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Photo courtesy of Facebook (Zack Muise)

The young Ontario firefighter who died last week in British Columbia has been identified as Zak Muise in an online obituary and a tribute by the firefighting contractor he worked for.

Big Cat Wildfire shared a photo of Muise in his uniform and called him a "vital member" of one of its crews.

The 25-year-old died Friday as he helped battle the massive Donnie Creek wildfire in northeastern B.C.

RCMP have said he was killed when his heavy-duty ATV rolled over a steep drop on a gravel road in a remote area about 150 kilometres north of Fort St. John.

A brief online obituary posted on the website of a Waterford, Ont., funeral home in the name of his family says Muise is survived by his parents and five older siblings.

It says Muise was "loved by many," and the family is grateful to all firefighters and other first responders "who are still fighting."

It says a funeral is scheduled for later this month in Simcoe, Ont., and that a public memorial in B.C. is also being planned.

A fundraiser for the Canadian Critical Incident Stress Foundation has been launched in Muise's honour.

The organization provides support, education and training for first responders, veterans and their families and runs a camp for families and children coping with loss.

Muise was a contracted firefighter working to fight the nearly 6,000-square-kilometre Donnie Creek blaze in the province's northeast — the biggest wildfire in B.C.'s history.

Muise's Instagram page shows him enjoying time outdoors with family and friends, camping, snowboarding and golfing.

Muise is the fourth Canadian firefighter to die this year fighting wildfires, and the second to die in B.C.

On July 13, 19-year-old Devyn Gale died while combating a wildfire near her hometown of Revelstoke, B.C., after she was struck by a falling tree.

"Our hearts go out to all the families of fallen firefighters," Muise's obituary says.

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP want emergency debate on private health care

NDP want emergency debate on private health care
It’s a top priority for the leader as members of Parliament return to the House Monday following a holiday break. Singh spent some of that time away holding round table discussions on health care in British Columbia to discuss emergency room overcrowding and worker shortages.

NDP want emergency debate on private health care

Canadian police chiefs speak out on Nichols' death

Canadian police chiefs speak out on Nichols' death
The condemnation of the actions that led to Tyre Nichols' death came as authorities in Memphis, Tenn., released a video of what happened. The footage shows officers holding Nichols down and striking him repeatedly as he screamed for his mother.    

Canadian police chiefs speak out on Nichols' death

Dix 'delighted' premiers will meet PM on health

Dix 'delighted' premiers will meet PM on health
Adrian Dix says the premiers had long been asking to meet Justin Trudeau as they call on Ottawa to boost its contributions through the Canada Health Transfer. Dix says a "major impediment" has been overcome simply by agreeing to sitting down at the Feb. 7 talks in Ottawa, as the premiers had been asking to meet for two years.

Dix 'delighted' premiers will meet PM on health

129 cattle seized from B.C. property: SPCA

129 cattle seized from B.C. property: SPCA
They were also suffering from a range of medical issues, including untreated eye infections, lameness, inflamed udders, overgrown hoofs and diarrhea. The statement says "numerous carcasses" of dead cows were also discovered on the property.

129 cattle seized from B.C. property: SPCA

FortisBC Holdings to collaborate with First Nation

FortisBC Holdings to collaborate with First Nation
FortisBC Holdings says it respects Snuneymuxw's rights in relation to the potential effects of the project and is committed to sharing project benefits with the First Nation. It says Snuneymuxw has committed to supporting the projects and participating in the required regulatory processes.

FortisBC Holdings to collaborate with First Nation

Is COVID-19 still a global health emergency?

Is COVID-19 still a global health emergency?
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus will make the final call based on the advice the committee gives him. He warned earlier this week that he remains concerned about the impact of the virus, noting there were 170,000 deaths from COVID-19 reported around the world in the last two months.

Is COVID-19 still a global health emergency?