Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Aug, 2023 11:50 AM
  • Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Photo courtesy of Facebook (Zack Muise)

The young Ontario firefighter who died last week in British Columbia has been identified as Zak Muise in an online obituary and a tribute by the firefighting contractor he worked for.

Big Cat Wildfire shared a photo of Muise in his uniform and called him a "vital member" of one of its crews.

The 25-year-old died Friday as he helped battle the massive Donnie Creek wildfire in northeastern B.C.

RCMP have said he was killed when his heavy-duty ATV rolled over a steep drop on a gravel road in a remote area about 150 kilometres north of Fort St. John.

A brief online obituary posted on the website of a Waterford, Ont., funeral home in the name of his family says Muise is survived by his parents and five older siblings.

It says Muise was "loved by many," and the family is grateful to all firefighters and other first responders "who are still fighting."

It says a funeral is scheduled for later this month in Simcoe, Ont., and that a public memorial in B.C. is also being planned.

A fundraiser for the Canadian Critical Incident Stress Foundation has been launched in Muise's honour.

The organization provides support, education and training for first responders, veterans and their families and runs a camp for families and children coping with loss.

Muise was a contracted firefighter working to fight the nearly 6,000-square-kilometre Donnie Creek blaze in the province's northeast — the biggest wildfire in B.C.'s history.

Muise's Instagram page shows him enjoying time outdoors with family and friends, camping, snowboarding and golfing.

Muise is the fourth Canadian firefighter to die this year fighting wildfires, and the second to die in B.C.

On July 13, 19-year-old Devyn Gale died while combating a wildfire near her hometown of Revelstoke, B.C., after she was struck by a falling tree.

"Our hearts go out to all the families of fallen firefighters," Muise's obituary says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Impersonators behind 32 home frauds in Ont., B.C.

Impersonators behind 32 home frauds in Ont., B.C.
Mortgage and title fraudsters who impersonate homeowners and tenants have targeted at least 32 properties in Ontario and British Columbia, investigators and official warnings suggest.  Insurance investigator Brian King, president and CEO of King International Advisory Group, said his firm had received 30 such claims in Ontario.

Impersonators behind 32 home frauds in Ont., B.C.

Union wants national transit safety task force

Union wants national transit safety task force
A task force should consider whether de-escalation training, harsher penalties, increased mental health funding, better housing supports and greater police presence could help prevent violence on transit. The call for a task force came after a number of violent attacks targeting workers and riders on the Toronto Transit Commission.

Union wants national transit safety task force

U.S., Canada unveil details of new Nexus scheme

U.S., Canada unveil details of new Nexus scheme
The biggest change, to take effect in the spring, will allow U.S. border agents to interview Nexus applicants at select Canadian airports before boarding a U.S.-bound flight. That will happen only after applicants take part in a separate, appointment-only interview with Canadian agents at a Nexus airport enrolment centre.

U.S., Canada unveil details of new Nexus scheme

What methods does Ottawa want RCMP to stop using?

What methods does Ottawa want RCMP to stop using?
Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino directed Commissioner Brenda Lucki to bar Mounties from using the method in a mandate letter last year. The fact that he also asked RCMP to stop using two other tools — tear gas and rubber bullets — has received less public attention.    

What methods does Ottawa want RCMP to stop using?

66 more potential graves at former B.C. school

66 more potential graves at former B.C. school
In addition to the reflections found in a technical survey, she said interviews with survivors and searches through archival records revealed that babies born as a result of child sexual assault at the mission were disposed of by incineration.  Spearing said their work found "a minimum" of 28 children died at the mission, many of them buried in unmarked graves around the site.

66 more potential graves at former B.C. school

Famed Canadian skating coach guilty of sex assault

Famed Canadian skating coach guilty of sex assault
Richard Gauthier was on trial on three charges in connection with crimes he committed in the 1980s involving a teenage male skater whom he trained. Gauthier, 61, was found guilty on two charges, in a ruling rendered in Montreal by Quebec court Judge Josée Bélanger. He was acquitted of a third count of indecent assault against the victim, whose identity is covered by a publication ban.

Famed Canadian skating coach guilty of sex assault