Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Sep, 2025 08:11 AM
  • High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

The federal government wants construction on a planned high-speed rail line between Toronto and Quebec City to begin within four years. 

On Thursday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government's new major projects office will work to speed up engineering and regulatory work on the Alto high-speed rail line. 

"This is a very exciting project in a very densely populated area," he told reporters at a press conference in Montreal. 

LeBlanc made the comments at the Port of Montreal, where a planned expansion is among the first five projects under consideration for fast-track approval through the federal government's major projects office.

Alto was not among the five projects unveiled Thursday, but the government has listed it with others identified for future development.

Former prime minister Justin Trudeau announced in February that Ottawa had awarded a $3.9-billion, six-year contract to a consortium to design the project. If completed, the 1,000-kilometre high-speed rail network would take passengers from Montreal to Toronto in just three hours on trains travelling up to 300 kilometres an hour.

On Thursday, LeBlanc said the work over the next four years would determine the final route between Toronto and Quebec City. "Imagine the assessments, imagine the Indigenous consultations along a 1000-kilometre route," he said. "It represents a significant, significant undertaking."

He said roughly half of Canada's population lives along the high-speed rail corridor. 

LeBlanc said it would have taken eight years to begin construction of the rail project, without the assistance of the major projects office, though it's unclear where that number comes from. The design contract announced in February was for six years. At the time, Trudeau said the development phase might only last four to five years. 

Alto did not immediately respond to questions from The Canadian Press. LeBlanc did not say when Ottawa hopes to see the first phase of the project up and running. 

Alto CEO Martin Imbleau has estimated the total cost of the high-speed rail project at between $60 billion and $90 billion. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

MORE National ARTICLES

Second case of measles confirmed in B.C.'s Lower Mainland, linked to Thailand flight

Second case of measles confirmed in B.C.'s Lower Mainland, linked to Thailand flight
Health authorities in British Columbia have confirmed a second case of measles in the Lower Mainland, this time in the Vancouver Coastal Health region. Vancouver Coastal Health says in a release that the infected person travelled to Southeast Asia in the same party as a Fraser Health region resident who tested positive earlier this month.

Second case of measles confirmed in B.C.'s Lower Mainland, linked to Thailand flight

B.C. tree fruit growers get new $10M fund from the province

B.C. tree fruit growers get new $10M fund from the province
British Columbia has launched a new $10 million fund to help tree fruit farmers facing proposed U.S. tariffs on the heels of years of devastatingly low crop yields. A statement from the Ministry of Agriculture says the money will be handed out as one-time payments to farmers and can be used to help with needs like tools, training, capital for farm improvement, farm debt repayment and farm wages.

B.C. tree fruit growers get new $10M fund from the province

Health Canada warns of unauthorized sex enhancement products seized from stores

Health Canada warns of unauthorized sex enhancement products seized from stores
Health Canada is warning people in at least three provinces against using unauthorized sexual enhancement products that may pose serious health risks.  The agency says it has seized various products from stores in New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario that have been found to contain "dangerous ingredients."

Health Canada warns of unauthorized sex enhancement products seized from stores

B.C. ends take-home safer supply of opioids to stop criminal diversion

B.C. ends take-home safer supply of opioids to stop criminal diversion
British Columbia's health minister has announced that the province is changing its safer-supply anti-addiction program to a witnessed model, in which users will be watched as they consume the drugs. Josie Osborne says the "significant" change to end the take-home model will be difficult for some, but is designed to reduce the criminal diversion of prescribed alternatives to illicit street drugs. 

B.C. ends take-home safer supply of opioids to stop criminal diversion

Trudeau says democracy at stake as Ukraine kept away from peace talks

Trudeau says democracy at stake as Ukraine kept away from peace talks
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Ukraine must have a seat at the table in any peace talks, as Washington and Moscow discuss ways to end the war. Trudeau says Canada and most of its allies insist that Ukraine must be part of any discussions on ending Russia's war, which started three years ago.

Trudeau says democracy at stake as Ukraine kept away from peace talks

Small business carbon rebate will be taxed for now despite government promise

Small business carbon rebate will be taxed for now despite government promise
The federal government has confirmed that small businesses will have to pay tax on their carbon rebate, despite government promises otherwise, because Parliament can't currently pass legislation to make the payment exempt from income taxes. But if legislation passes to do that the government says the businesses can apply for a rebate for the taxes paid on their rebate.

Small business carbon rebate will be taxed for now despite government promise