Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Sep, 2025 08:11 AM
  • High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

The federal government wants construction on a planned high-speed rail line between Toronto and Quebec City to begin within four years. 

On Thursday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government's new major projects office will work to speed up engineering and regulatory work on the Alto high-speed rail line. 

"This is a very exciting project in a very densely populated area," he told reporters at a press conference in Montreal. 

LeBlanc made the comments at the Port of Montreal, where a planned expansion is among the first five projects under consideration for fast-track approval through the federal government's major projects office.

Alto was not among the five projects unveiled Thursday, but the government has listed it with others identified for future development.

Former prime minister Justin Trudeau announced in February that Ottawa had awarded a $3.9-billion, six-year contract to a consortium to design the project. If completed, the 1,000-kilometre high-speed rail network would take passengers from Montreal to Toronto in just three hours on trains travelling up to 300 kilometres an hour.

On Thursday, LeBlanc said the work over the next four years would determine the final route between Toronto and Quebec City. "Imagine the assessments, imagine the Indigenous consultations along a 1000-kilometre route," he said. "It represents a significant, significant undertaking."

He said roughly half of Canada's population lives along the high-speed rail corridor. 

LeBlanc said it would have taken eight years to begin construction of the rail project, without the assistance of the major projects office, though it's unclear where that number comes from. The design contract announced in February was for six years. At the time, Trudeau said the development phase might only last four to five years. 

Alto did not immediately respond to questions from The Canadian Press. LeBlanc did not say when Ottawa hopes to see the first phase of the project up and running. 

Alto CEO Martin Imbleau has estimated the total cost of the high-speed rail project at between $60 billion and $90 billion. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

MORE National ARTICLES

Investigation into plane crash at Pearson airport continues as crews handle wreckage

Investigation into plane crash at Pearson airport continues as crews handle wreckage
Two of Pearson's five runways, including the "busiest" in Canada, remain closed, said the airport's duty manager Jake Keating. The airport had capped departures throughout the day and a similar step had been taken to manage arrivals. 

Investigation into plane crash at Pearson airport continues as crews handle wreckage

Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney plans 'small' deficits for capital projects

Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney plans 'small' deficits for capital projects
Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney is vowing to split the federal budget between capital and operating spending, and to balance the operating side while running small capital deficits. Carney made the comments at a press conference in Scarborough, Ont., where he also promised he would reduce the debt-to-GDP ratio over time.

Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney plans 'small' deficits for capital projects

B.C. legislative assembly re-elects Raj Chouhan as its Speaker ahead of throne speech

B.C. legislative assembly re-elects Raj Chouhan as its Speaker ahead of throne speech
British Columbia's legislative session opens today amid what Premier David Eby describes as a time of "extraordinary change and uncertainty." Lt.-Gov. Wendy Cocchia is scheduled to deliver the speech from the throne this afternoon, laying out the B.C. government's plan as looming U.S. tariffs threaten the Canadian economy.

B.C. legislative assembly re-elects Raj Chouhan as its Speaker ahead of throne speech

Most of the injured in Pearson plane crash released from hospital as probe continues

Most of the injured in Pearson plane crash released from hospital as probe continues
Delta said in a social media post that 19 out of 21 passengers initially taken to Toronto-area hospitals have been released as the investigation continues. Delta flight 4819 from Minneapolis to Toronto, operated by subsidiary Endeavor Air, crashed on landing around 2:30 p.m. Monday. Flint said authorities will not speculate about a possible cause until a thorough investigation is complete. 

Most of the injured in Pearson plane crash released from hospital as probe continues

Seven male suspects sought in B.C. theft of more than $2,400 in fragrances

Seven male suspects sought in B.C. theft of more than $2,400 in fragrances
Police in Richmond are searching for seven suspects in an alleged retail theft of fragrances worth more than $2,400. RCMP say the theft took place on Nov. 11 of last year, when the seven men reportedly entered a store in the 3800 block of Steveston Highway.

Seven male suspects sought in B.C. theft of more than $2,400 in fragrances

Green Party says it will run full slate of candidates in coming federal election

Green Party says it will run full slate of candidates in coming federal election
The Green Party's leaders say they will have a full slate of candidates for the next election, which could be called as soon as next month. Party co-leader Elizabeth May said Tuesday the party is still vetting potential candidates but it expects to run someone in every federal riding.

Green Party says it will run full slate of candidates in coming federal election