Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Sep, 2025 08:11 AM
  • High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

The federal government wants construction on a planned high-speed rail line between Toronto and Quebec City to begin within four years. 

On Thursday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government's new major projects office will work to speed up engineering and regulatory work on the Alto high-speed rail line. 

"This is a very exciting project in a very densely populated area," he told reporters at a press conference in Montreal. 

LeBlanc made the comments at the Port of Montreal, where a planned expansion is among the first five projects under consideration for fast-track approval through the federal government's major projects office.

Alto was not among the five projects unveiled Thursday, but the government has listed it with others identified for future development.

Former prime minister Justin Trudeau announced in February that Ottawa had awarded a $3.9-billion, six-year contract to a consortium to design the project. If completed, the 1,000-kilometre high-speed rail network would take passengers from Montreal to Toronto in just three hours on trains travelling up to 300 kilometres an hour.

On Thursday, LeBlanc said the work over the next four years would determine the final route between Toronto and Quebec City. "Imagine the assessments, imagine the Indigenous consultations along a 1000-kilometre route," he said. "It represents a significant, significant undertaking."

He said roughly half of Canada's population lives along the high-speed rail corridor. 

LeBlanc said it would have taken eight years to begin construction of the rail project, without the assistance of the major projects office, though it's unclear where that number comes from. The design contract announced in February was for six years. At the time, Trudeau said the development phase might only last four to five years. 

Alto did not immediately respond to questions from The Canadian Press. LeBlanc did not say when Ottawa hopes to see the first phase of the project up and running. 

Alto CEO Martin Imbleau has estimated the total cost of the high-speed rail project at between $60 billion and $90 billion. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. judge tosses drug evidence for 'numerous and flagrant' rights violations

B.C. judge tosses drug evidence for 'numerous and flagrant' rights violations
The court issued two rulings on evidence collected by Vernon Mounties in a case against Nabil Abdelkader, who police believed was in the drug trade after finding methamphetamine and cocaine in a jeep they searched in October 2020. 

B.C. judge tosses drug evidence for 'numerous and flagrant' rights violations

Canada invests $72 million in satellite constellation to monitor active wildfires

Canada invests $72 million in satellite constellation to monitor active wildfires
Canada is investing $72 million on a novel satellite constellation that will monitor active forest fires across the country. Federal Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault made the announcement today at the Canadian Space Agency headquarters south of Montreal.

Canada invests $72 million in satellite constellation to monitor active wildfires

Three men in Quebec accused of smuggling people from the U.S. into Canada

Three men in Quebec accused of smuggling people from the U.S. into Canada
The RCMP say three men in Quebec have been charged for helping to smuggle people into Canada from the United States.  During two separate events last year, the three men were intercepted in vehicles near the U.S. border in the Montérégie region southwest of Montreal, allegedly waiting to pick up people who had crossed into Canada illegally. 

Three men in Quebec accused of smuggling people from the U.S. into Canada

Health care, tax cuts and Highway 401 tunnel focus of Ontario campaign trail

Health care, tax cuts and Highway 401 tunnel focus of Ontario campaign trail
Health care, tax cuts and a pledge to build a tunnel under Highway 401 are the focus on the Ontario campaign trail today. NDP Leader Marit Stiles has pledged to connect every Ontarian to a family doctor or nurse practitioner at a cost of more than $4 billion.

Health care, tax cuts and Highway 401 tunnel focus of Ontario campaign trail

Liberal leadership candidates will have to clear $125,000 hurdle today

Liberal leadership candidates will have to clear $125,000 hurdle today
Federal Liberal leadership candidates will have to cross another hurdle today to remain in the race — a payment of $125,000 to the party. The party requires candidates to pay a total entrance fee of $350,000 in instalments.

Liberal leadership candidates will have to clear $125,000 hurdle today

Canada adds 76,000 jobs in January as unemployment rate falls to 6.6%

Canada adds 76,000 jobs in January as unemployment rate falls to 6.6%
Canada's unemployment rate ticked down in January as the labour market added 76,000 jobs, beating economist expectations for the month. The jobless rate ticked down 0.1 percentage points to 6.6 per cent, marking the second straight monthly decline after peaking at 6.9 per cent in November, Statistics Canada reported on Friday.

Canada adds 76,000 jobs in January as unemployment rate falls to 6.6%