Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Sep, 2025 08:11 AM
  • High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

The federal government wants construction on a planned high-speed rail line between Toronto and Quebec City to begin within four years. 

On Thursday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government's new major projects office will work to speed up engineering and regulatory work on the Alto high-speed rail line. 

"This is a very exciting project in a very densely populated area," he told reporters at a press conference in Montreal. 

LeBlanc made the comments at the Port of Montreal, where a planned expansion is among the first five projects under consideration for fast-track approval through the federal government's major projects office.

Alto was not among the five projects unveiled Thursday, but the government has listed it with others identified for future development.

Former prime minister Justin Trudeau announced in February that Ottawa had awarded a $3.9-billion, six-year contract to a consortium to design the project. If completed, the 1,000-kilometre high-speed rail network would take passengers from Montreal to Toronto in just three hours on trains travelling up to 300 kilometres an hour.

On Thursday, LeBlanc said the work over the next four years would determine the final route between Toronto and Quebec City. "Imagine the assessments, imagine the Indigenous consultations along a 1000-kilometre route," he said. "It represents a significant, significant undertaking."

He said roughly half of Canada's population lives along the high-speed rail corridor. 

LeBlanc said it would have taken eight years to begin construction of the rail project, without the assistance of the major projects office, though it's unclear where that number comes from. The design contract announced in February was for six years. At the time, Trudeau said the development phase might only last four to five years. 

Alto did not immediately respond to questions from The Canadian Press. LeBlanc did not say when Ottawa hopes to see the first phase of the project up and running. 

Alto CEO Martin Imbleau has estimated the total cost of the high-speed rail project at between $60 billion and $90 billion. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

MORE National ARTICLES

Freeland announces plan to cap grocery profits, expand competition

Freeland announces plan to cap grocery profits, expand competition
Liberal leadership candidate Chrystia Freeland has pitched a plan to lower food prices, tackling a key part of the cost-of-living issue that plagued her for much of her time as minister of finance. Her affordability plan includes a promise to cap profit margins for grocers on essential items, including eggs, milk, vegetables and baby formula.

Freeland announces plan to cap grocery profits, expand competition

'Wouldn't even hurt a fly': Memorial grows for B.C. teen shot dead by police

'Wouldn't even hurt a fly': Memorial grows for B.C. teen shot dead by police
A memorial of flowers, stuffed animals, condolence cards and cans of Orange Crush is growing for a 15-year-old Surrey, B.C., boy who died in a police shooting on Sunday. Friends, family members and strangers, many of them crying, have stopped at the memorial not far from the site where the Surrey high school student was killed. 

'Wouldn't even hurt a fly': Memorial grows for B.C. teen shot dead by police

B.C. snowpack at 72% of normal as of Feb. 1 after 'extremely dry' January

B.C. snowpack at 72% of normal as of Feb. 1 after 'extremely dry' January
British Columbia's latest snow and water supply bulletin says it was "extremely dry" across much of the province last month, with average snowpack measuring 28 per cent below normal as of Feb. 1. The latest snow pack figures released Tuesday come after the province started the year with a snowpack at 13 per cent below normal. 

B.C. snowpack at 72% of normal as of Feb. 1 after 'extremely dry' January

Former prime ministers call on Canadians to 'show the flag' as Trump pushes trade war

Former prime ministers call on Canadians to 'show the flag' as Trump pushes trade war
All of Canada's living former prime minister's are calling on Canadians to express their national pride and "show the flag" as U.S. President Donald Trump continues his threats against this country's economic security and sovereignty. Saturday, Feb. 15 — Flag Day — marks the 60th anniversary of the Canadian flag.

Former prime ministers call on Canadians to 'show the flag' as Trump pushes trade war

White House says 25 per cent steel tariffs would stack on others, as premiers in DC

White House says 25 per cent steel tariffs would stack on others, as premiers in DC
The news comes as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cautioned U.S. Vice-President JD Vance against Trump's promised steel and aluminum levies, while Canadian premiers picked up the Team Canada mantle in Washington to push against Trump's tariff threats.

White House says 25 per cent steel tariffs would stack on others, as premiers in DC

'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cautioned U.S. Vice-President JD Vance against steel and aluminum levies Tuesday, as Canadian premiers picked up the Team Canada mantle in Washington to push against U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threats. Trudeau and Vance are in Paris for a global summit on artificial intelligence.

'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message