Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Sep, 2025 08:11 AM
  • High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

The federal government wants construction on a planned high-speed rail line between Toronto and Quebec City to begin within four years. 

On Thursday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government's new major projects office will work to speed up engineering and regulatory work on the Alto high-speed rail line. 

"This is a very exciting project in a very densely populated area," he told reporters at a press conference in Montreal. 

LeBlanc made the comments at the Port of Montreal, where a planned expansion is among the first five projects under consideration for fast-track approval through the federal government's major projects office.

Alto was not among the five projects unveiled Thursday, but the government has listed it with others identified for future development.

Former prime minister Justin Trudeau announced in February that Ottawa had awarded a $3.9-billion, six-year contract to a consortium to design the project. If completed, the 1,000-kilometre high-speed rail network would take passengers from Montreal to Toronto in just three hours on trains travelling up to 300 kilometres an hour.

On Thursday, LeBlanc said the work over the next four years would determine the final route between Toronto and Quebec City. "Imagine the assessments, imagine the Indigenous consultations along a 1000-kilometre route," he said. "It represents a significant, significant undertaking."

He said roughly half of Canada's population lives along the high-speed rail corridor. 

LeBlanc said it would have taken eight years to begin construction of the rail project, without the assistance of the major projects office, though it's unclear where that number comes from. The design contract announced in February was for six years. At the time, Trudeau said the development phase might only last four to five years. 

Alto did not immediately respond to questions from The Canadian Press. LeBlanc did not say when Ottawa hopes to see the first phase of the project up and running. 

Alto CEO Martin Imbleau has estimated the total cost of the high-speed rail project at between $60 billion and $90 billion. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

MORE National ARTICLES

Avalanche warning issued for BC

Avalanche warning issued for BC
Avalanche Canada is warning anyone planning to head into British Columbia's backcountry that incoming winter weather is expected to bring a "major increase in avalanche danger."

Avalanche warning issued for BC

Man charged with fraud in bank card scam

Man charged with fraud in bank card scam
Burnaby R-C-M-P say a 26-year-old man is facing 16 fraud-related charges following an investigation into an alleged bank card scam. The Mounties had issued a public warning in February 2024 after two seniors in Burnaby were scammed out of several thousand dollars each.

Man charged with fraud in bank card scam

25 year-old arrested for groping in Vancouver

25 year-old arrested for groping in Vancouver
Police in Vancouver say a 25-year-old man has been sentenced after pleading guilty to groping women who had been walking in the downtown area in 2023. Sex crimes officers began investigating that spring after a series of reports from women saying they had been assaulted near B-C Place stadium and Rogers Arena.

25 year-old arrested for groping in Vancouver

How Trump's foreign policy could shape Canada's approach to aid, trade and intel

How Trump's foreign policy could shape Canada's approach to aid, trade and intel
U.S. President Donald Trump's "America First" changes to foreign policy could have drastic consequences for Canada's approach toaid, trade, intelligence and diplomacy.

How Trump's foreign policy could shape Canada's approach to aid, trade and intel

Google payments for news organizations to begin later than expected

Google payments for news organizations to begin later than expected
Canadian journalism organizations are having to wait a bit longer for their share of the $100 million Google agreed to pay news outlets to be exempt from the Online News Act. The organization administering the money now says funds will flow to outlets later than the January timeline it first provided.

Google payments for news organizations to begin later than expected

StatCan estimates GDP rebounded at year-end but uncertainties mount for economy

StatCan estimates GDP rebounded at year-end but uncertainties mount for economy
The Canadian economy contracted in November, but preliminary estimates point to a rebound at the end of the year as the country faces an uncertain future with U.S. President Donald Trump threatening to impose tariffs on Canadian goods as early as Saturday. Statistics Canada said Friday real gross domestic product decreased 0.2 per cent in November, the largest monthly contraction since December 2023.

StatCan estimates GDP rebounded at year-end but uncertainties mount for economy