Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Sep, 2025 08:11 AM
  • High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

The federal government wants construction on a planned high-speed rail line between Toronto and Quebec City to begin within four years. 

On Thursday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government's new major projects office will work to speed up engineering and regulatory work on the Alto high-speed rail line. 

"This is a very exciting project in a very densely populated area," he told reporters at a press conference in Montreal. 

LeBlanc made the comments at the Port of Montreal, where a planned expansion is among the first five projects under consideration for fast-track approval through the federal government's major projects office.

Alto was not among the five projects unveiled Thursday, but the government has listed it with others identified for future development.

Former prime minister Justin Trudeau announced in February that Ottawa had awarded a $3.9-billion, six-year contract to a consortium to design the project. If completed, the 1,000-kilometre high-speed rail network would take passengers from Montreal to Toronto in just three hours on trains travelling up to 300 kilometres an hour.

On Thursday, LeBlanc said the work over the next four years would determine the final route between Toronto and Quebec City. "Imagine the assessments, imagine the Indigenous consultations along a 1000-kilometre route," he said. "It represents a significant, significant undertaking."

He said roughly half of Canada's population lives along the high-speed rail corridor. 

LeBlanc said it would have taken eight years to begin construction of the rail project, without the assistance of the major projects office, though it's unclear where that number comes from. The design contract announced in February was for six years. At the time, Trudeau said the development phase might only last four to five years. 

Alto did not immediately respond to questions from The Canadian Press. LeBlanc did not say when Ottawa hopes to see the first phase of the project up and running. 

Alto CEO Martin Imbleau has estimated the total cost of the high-speed rail project at between $60 billion and $90 billion. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

MORE National ARTICLES

Chrystia Freeland says Canada should target Elon Musk's Tesla in a tariff fight

Chrystia Freeland says Canada should target Elon Musk's Tesla in a tariff fight
Liberal leadership candidate Chrystia Freeland says Ottawa should target Tesla vehicles and U.S. alcohol as part of its tariff retaliation package to send a message that an attack on Canadian trade would not be cost-free for Trump's allies. In an interview with The Canadian Press, Freeland said there should be a 100 per cent tariff on all U.S. wine, beer and spirits, and on all Teslas.

Chrystia Freeland says Canada should target Elon Musk's Tesla in a tariff fight

Conservative fundraising for 2024 nearly doubles Liberal, NDP totals

Conservative fundraising for 2024 nearly doubles Liberal, NDP totals
The Conservative Party had a banner fundraising year in 2024, when it nearly doubled the combined total collected by the Liberals and NDP by raising almost $41.8 million. The Conservatives brought in nearly $12.8 million in the final quarter of 2024, according to filings with Elections Canada.

Conservative fundraising for 2024 nearly doubles Liberal, NDP totals

International study permit data an 'earthquake' for Canadian university finances

International study permit data an 'earthquake' for Canadian university finances
Provinces where international permit allocations were increased last year are also experiencing a decline in international enrolment, creating gaps in budgets that may lead to program cuts.

International study permit data an 'earthquake' for Canadian university finances

Carney vows to kill consumer carbon pricing, shift to green incentives

Carney vows to kill consumer carbon pricing, shift to green incentives
Liberal leadership contender Mark Carney is backing away from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's consumer carbon pricing regime but will keep industrial pricing in place. Carney said the country has become divided over the policy because Canadians have been fed "misinformation" by Conservative Opposition Leader Pierre Poilievre.

Carney vows to kill consumer carbon pricing, shift to green incentives

Trudeau says Canada 'ready' for Trump tariffs as ministers make final push in D.C.

Trudeau says Canada 'ready' for Trump tariffs as ministers make final push in D.C.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is ready to deliver a "purposeful, forceful but reasonable immediate" response if U.S. President Donald Trump imposes tariffs on Canadian imports. During an event in Toronto today, Trudeau said that it's "not what we want, but if he moves forward, we will also act."

Trudeau says Canada 'ready' for Trump tariffs as ministers make final push in D.C.

Darpan 10 with Dr. Sanjay Jeram, Senior Lecturer & Chair of Undergraduate Studies in Political Science at SFU

Darpan 10 with Dr. Sanjay Jeram, Senior Lecturer & Chair of Undergraduate Studies in Political Science at SFU
Darpan 10 with Dr. Sanjay Jeram, Senior Lecturer & Chair of Undergraduate Studies in Political Science at Simon Fraser University on Prime Minister Trudeau's resignation and what it means for Canada as well as Canada/US relations. 

Darpan 10 with Dr. Sanjay Jeram, Senior Lecturer & Chair of Undergraduate Studies in Political Science at SFU