Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

How the rescue of three workers trapped underground in B.C. mine unfolded

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Jul, 2025 11:26 AM
  • How the rescue of three workers trapped underground in B.C. mine unfolded

Three contractors were rescued late Thursday after more than 60 hours trapped underground at the Red Chris gold and copper mine in northern B.C.

Here is a timeline of how the situation unfolded (all times Pacific):

July 22, 2025, 6 a.m. Three contractors working for Hy-Tech Drilling begin work for the day at the mine.

7:47 a.m. The mine experiences the first of what officials call a "localized" ground fall. The three workers go to a refuge station and Newmont says the workers radio that they are safe.

10:30 a.m. 

A second, larger, fall takes place, cutting off communication with the workers. 

July 23, 2025, 10 a.m.

B.C. Premier David Eby, speaking at a news conference in Ontario to mark the end of a premiers' meeting, announces the three workers are trapped.

11 a.m.

Newmont Corp., the operator and majority owner of the mine, says the contractors were working more than 500 metres beyond the area affected by the first fall. It says the workers have enough air, water and food for an "extended stay."

July 24, 2025, 6 a.m. 

Newmont says it has deployed drones to assess the conditions underground, and a pile of debris 20 to 30 metres long and seven to eight metres high is blocking access to the workers. It says a remote-controlled scoop is removing the debris.

2:30 p.m.

Newmont CEO Tom Palmer says the company will conduct a "thorough and independent investigation" into what happened and share details with the rest of the industry.

4:40 p.m.

Newmont holds a news conference where global safety chief Bernard Wessels says there is a "natural flow of air" to the area where the workers are trapped. He says drones have flown over the debris and have found a stable route to the refuge behind it.

6 p.m.

Hy-Tech Drilling releases the names of the workers with permission from their families. They are Kevin Coumbs, Darien Maduke and Jesse Chubaty.

10:50 p.m.

The men are safely brought to the surface after what Newmont calls a "carefully planned and meticulously executed rescue."

July 25, 2025, 7:45 a.m. 

Newmont says open-pit operations at the mine have resumed since that is unrelated to the project the men were working on. The company says the underground area where the rockfall occurred has been secured and no work will resume there "until a full investigation is completed and safety is reassessed."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Dave Middleton

MORE National ARTICLES

B & E suspect ID needed

B & E suspect ID needed
Mounties in West Kelowna are asking the public for help in identifying the suspect in a break-and-enter at a home earlier this month. R-C-M-P say it happened when the homeowners were out for a walk, and while their adult daughter and her child were in the basement.

B & E suspect ID needed

Cause of water main break that flooded Montreal neighbourhood remains unclear: mayor

Cause of water main break that flooded Montreal neighbourhood remains unclear: mayor
The mayor of Montreal says the cause of a major water main break Friday morning near the city's Jacques Cartier Bridge remains unknown. Valérie Plante says 50 buildings were flooded when millions of litres of water erupted onto city streets, and 16 households have asked the Red Cross for emergency housing.

Cause of water main break that flooded Montreal neighbourhood remains unclear: mayor

Joly announces $1M to help stem mpox in Africa as Liberals craft continental plan

Joly announces $1M to help stem mpox in Africa as Liberals craft continental plan
The funding will go to the World Health Organization as it tries to contain the spread of the virus formerly known as monkeypox, which has been spreading rapidly across Africa. Joly is visiting a vaccination co-ordination centre in Ivory Coast, ahead of a visit to South Africa for two days starting Wednesday.

Joly announces $1M to help stem mpox in Africa as Liberals craft continental plan

Motorcyclist dies in collision

Motorcyclist dies in collision
A motorcyclist has died after colliding with a light standard in Abbotsford. Police say they were called to the intersection of Golden Avenue and Trethewey Street on Saturday at 3:30 p-m and the motorcyclist died from his injuries.

Motorcyclist dies in collision

Man changed with murder a year after Sicamous death: police

Man changed with murder a year after Sicamous death: police
Mounties say a man has been charged more than a year after a body was found on a rural property in south central B.C. A statement from police says the body of Wayne Sirvio was discovered at a home in Sicamous on Aug. 5, 2023, three days after he was reported missing.

Man changed with murder a year after Sicamous death: police

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'
The large wildfire that destroyed multiple homes in British Columbia's southern Interior last month is now considered "held." BC Wildfire Service says the 280-square-kilometre Shetland Creek wildfire is not likely to spread further, but crews still have hard work ahead.

B.C.'s Shetland Creek wildfire, which destroyed multiple homes, now considered 'held'