Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

How the rescue of three workers trapped underground in B.C. mine unfolded

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Jul, 2025 11:26 AM
  • How the rescue of three workers trapped underground in B.C. mine unfolded

Three contractors were rescued late Thursday after more than 60 hours trapped underground at the Red Chris gold and copper mine in northern B.C.

Here is a timeline of how the situation unfolded (all times Pacific):

July 22, 2025, 6 a.m. Three contractors working for Hy-Tech Drilling begin work for the day at the mine.

7:47 a.m. The mine experiences the first of what officials call a "localized" ground fall. The three workers go to a refuge station and Newmont says the workers radio that they are safe.

10:30 a.m. 

A second, larger, fall takes place, cutting off communication with the workers. 

July 23, 2025, 10 a.m.

B.C. Premier David Eby, speaking at a news conference in Ontario to mark the end of a premiers' meeting, announces the three workers are trapped.

11 a.m.

Newmont Corp., the operator and majority owner of the mine, says the contractors were working more than 500 metres beyond the area affected by the first fall. It says the workers have enough air, water and food for an "extended stay."

July 24, 2025, 6 a.m. 

Newmont says it has deployed drones to assess the conditions underground, and a pile of debris 20 to 30 metres long and seven to eight metres high is blocking access to the workers. It says a remote-controlled scoop is removing the debris.

2:30 p.m.

Newmont CEO Tom Palmer says the company will conduct a "thorough and independent investigation" into what happened and share details with the rest of the industry.

4:40 p.m.

Newmont holds a news conference where global safety chief Bernard Wessels says there is a "natural flow of air" to the area where the workers are trapped. He says drones have flown over the debris and have found a stable route to the refuge behind it.

6 p.m.

Hy-Tech Drilling releases the names of the workers with permission from their families. They are Kevin Coumbs, Darien Maduke and Jesse Chubaty.

10:50 p.m.

The men are safely brought to the surface after what Newmont calls a "carefully planned and meticulously executed rescue."

July 25, 2025, 7:45 a.m. 

Newmont says open-pit operations at the mine have resumed since that is unrelated to the project the men were working on. The company says the underground area where the rockfall occurred has been secured and no work will resume there "until a full investigation is completed and safety is reassessed."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Dave Middleton

MORE National ARTICLES

Man dies in Whalley

Man dies in Whalley
Surrey R-C-M-P are asking witnesses to contact them after a man died in the Whalley neighbourhood Wednesday night.  The R-C-M-P says officers received a call from B-C Emergency Health Services at 6:40 p.m. on Wednesday and they located an unresponsive man who had fallen while lleaving a transit bus.

Man dies in Whalley

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late
The total cost of building the Surrey-Langley SkyTrain extension in Metro Vancouver has soared by $2 billion and the project has been delayed for a year. The Transportation Ministry says in a statement the budget of the 16-kilometre extension of the SkyTrain into Langley is now estimated at $5.996 billion, up from the original $4 billion projected. 

The costs of a Metro Vancouver SkyTrain extension jump by $1.9B and it's a year late

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown
Officials say they'll never know the cause of a massive fire earlier this summer that started a warehouse and then burned a wooden trestle in Metro Vancouver. The fire sent black smoke billowing across the region, prompting an air quality advisory and the temporary closure of a bridge between Vancouver and Richmond.

Cause of Vancouver fire unknown

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs
The $18.4 million CBC/Radio-Canada awarded in bonuses to its employees this year is shocking, Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet said. He also said bonuses at the public broadcaster aren't justified because a government-owned corporation doesn't face competition like in the private sector. 

Bloc leader says he is shocked by millions in 'juicy' bonuses awarded to CBC execs

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent
The landlord company successfully argued that financial losses caused by the interest rate hikes were not foreseeable "under reasonable circumstances," and it should be allowed to increase rent beyond the 3.5 per cent limit set by the province for this year.

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent

Canada lists old NYC residence for $13M, surpassing cost of new luxury condo

Canada lists old NYC residence for $13M, surpassing cost of new luxury condo
Canada is selling its former Manhattan residence, which used to house its consulate general in New York.  Global Affairs Canada says the five-bedroom condo was listed today at over $13 million, which is expected to exceed the purchase price of its new $9 million condo located on a Manhattan street known as Billionaires' Row. 

Canada lists old NYC residence for $13M, surpassing cost of new luxury condo