Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Huge Wildfires In B.C. Could Smoulder Until Next Spring, Says Official

The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — A municipal leader in British Columbia's central Interior says he wouldn't be surprised if wildfires that have chewed through more than 10,600 square kilometres of woodland won't be fully out until 2018.
     
    Chairman Al Richmond of the Cariboo Regional District said hot spots from many of the largest fires likely won't be doused until the spring, mirroring the Fort McMurray wildfire that Alberta officials said was finally declared extinguished on Aug. 2.
     
    "It goes down deep into the roots sometimes and then pops up again in the summer," he said. "That's not unusual, so I think the forest service felt we will be out dealing with these fires until well into October. And we will probably be back with many hot spots again come spring."
     
    A small wildfire that flared up near Canim Lake, east of 100 Mile House, prompted a tactical evacuation of about 88 properties. There was no formal evacuation order but an alert was in place.
     
    Huge swaths of land that are now just barren stretches of ash-covered ground and charred timber also worry the regional district as it prepares for rain in the fall.
     
    "If we have some rains here, which we will be thankful to have to douse the fires, they could bring a mixed blessing and cause some land slippage too, so it's not a pretty picture," said Richmond.
     
    Scores of wildfires burned across British Columbia on Friday. An 1,800 square kilometre straddling the Cariboo and Thompson-Nicola regional districts flared again.
     
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said the blaze, sparked at the beginning of July near Ashcroft, was 50 per cent contained but recent scorching heat and gusty winds caused the fire to grow.
     
    All available resources, including structural protection crews were sent to the area, the wildfire service said.
     
    In southeastern B.C., an evacuation alert was issued late Thursday for nearly 500 properties about 35 kilometres east of Nelson as a wildfire caused by lightning that broke out in late July grew to 25 square kilometres.
     
    Wildfire service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said a full backcountry closure was not planned over the Labour Day weekend, but the province strongly recommended that people stay out of woods in the critically dry Kamloops, Cariboo and southeast fire centres.
     
    Campfires remain banned in those areas. The BC Conservation Service said its officers issued 37 tickets over the last week to people who violated the order.
     
    This has been a record-breaking wildfire season for B.C.
     
    Finance Minister Carole James said earlier this month the cost of the fires was tracking $389 million over the budget estimate in February and updated firefighting costs will be included in September's financial update.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Barack Obama To Deliver Keynote Speech To Montreal Board Of Trade In June

    MONTREAL — Former U.S. president Barack Obama will deliver a keynote speech to the Montreal Board of Trade on June 6, the organization announced Wednesday.

    Barack Obama To Deliver Keynote Speech To Montreal Board Of Trade In June

    Air Canada To Launch Its Own Loyalty Rewards Program In 2020 To Replace Aeroplan

    TORONTO — Air Canada said Thursday it will launch its own loyalty rewards plan in 2020 and not renew its contract with the company running Aeroplan, sending Aimia's stock plummeting by more than 50 per cent and angering some points collectors.

    Air Canada To Launch Its Own Loyalty Rewards Program In 2020 To Replace Aeroplan

    Four Killed, 2 Injured In Seven-Vehicle Collision On Highway 401, Northeast Of Kingston, Ont.

    Four Killed, 2 Injured In Seven-Vehicle Collision On Highway 401, Northeast Of Kingston, Ont.
    KINGSTON, Ont. — A seven-vehicle crash along a stretch of one of Canada's busiest highways has left four people dead and sent two others to hospital, police said Thursday.

    Four Killed, 2 Injured In Seven-Vehicle Collision On Highway 401, Northeast Of Kingston, Ont.

    Man, 34, Dead After Construction Site Accident In West Vancouver

    Man, 34, Dead After Construction Site Accident In West Vancouver
    Man, 34, dead after construction site accident in West Vancouver - Incident happened at a work site just off Cypress Bowl Road, say police

    Man, 34, Dead After Construction Site Accident In West Vancouver

    Young Girls Pressured To Send Nudes, Unaware Boys Were Sharing Them, Court Told

    Young Girls Pressured To Send Nudes, Unaware Boys Were Sharing Them, Court Told
    Girls as young as 13 felt pressured to send intimate photos and were unaware they were being shared among a group of boys, a Nova Scotia court has been told.

    Young Girls Pressured To Send Nudes, Unaware Boys Were Sharing Them, Court Told

    WATCH: Canada Post Unveils Stamp Celebrating Same-Sex Marriage Rights In Country

    WATCH: Canada Post Unveils Stamp Celebrating Same-Sex Marriage Rights In Country
    TORONTO — The latest Canada Post stamp commemorating Canada's 150th birthday pays tribute to the fact that same-sex couples have the right to get married in this country.

    WATCH: Canada Post Unveils Stamp Celebrating Same-Sex Marriage Rights In Country