Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Huge Wildfires In B.C. Could Smoulder Until Next Spring, Says Official

The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — A municipal leader in British Columbia's central Interior says he wouldn't be surprised if wildfires that have chewed through more than 10,600 square kilometres of woodland won't be fully out until 2018.
     
    Chairman Al Richmond of the Cariboo Regional District said hot spots from many of the largest fires likely won't be doused until the spring, mirroring the Fort McMurray wildfire that Alberta officials said was finally declared extinguished on Aug. 2.
     
    "It goes down deep into the roots sometimes and then pops up again in the summer," he said. "That's not unusual, so I think the forest service felt we will be out dealing with these fires until well into October. And we will probably be back with many hot spots again come spring."
     
    A small wildfire that flared up near Canim Lake, east of 100 Mile House, prompted a tactical evacuation of about 88 properties. There was no formal evacuation order but an alert was in place.
     
    Huge swaths of land that are now just barren stretches of ash-covered ground and charred timber also worry the regional district as it prepares for rain in the fall.
     
    "If we have some rains here, which we will be thankful to have to douse the fires, they could bring a mixed blessing and cause some land slippage too, so it's not a pretty picture," said Richmond.
     
    Scores of wildfires burned across British Columbia on Friday. An 1,800 square kilometre straddling the Cariboo and Thompson-Nicola regional districts flared again.
     
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said the blaze, sparked at the beginning of July near Ashcroft, was 50 per cent contained but recent scorching heat and gusty winds caused the fire to grow.
     
    All available resources, including structural protection crews were sent to the area, the wildfire service said.
     
    In southeastern B.C., an evacuation alert was issued late Thursday for nearly 500 properties about 35 kilometres east of Nelson as a wildfire caused by lightning that broke out in late July grew to 25 square kilometres.
     
    Wildfire service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said a full backcountry closure was not planned over the Labour Day weekend, but the province strongly recommended that people stay out of woods in the critically dry Kamloops, Cariboo and southeast fire centres.
     
    Campfires remain banned in those areas. The BC Conservation Service said its officers issued 37 tickets over the last week to people who violated the order.
     
    This has been a record-breaking wildfire season for B.C.
     
    Finance Minister Carole James said earlier this month the cost of the fires was tracking $389 million over the budget estimate in February and updated firefighting costs will be included in September's financial update.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Man Pleads Not Guilty To Killing Three People, Including Father And Toddler

    Man Pleads Not Guilty To Killing Three People, Including Father And Toddler
    LETHBRIDGE, Alta. — A man accused in the deaths of three people in southwestern Alberta, including a two-year-old girl and her father, has pleaded not guilty. 

    Man Pleads Not Guilty To Killing Three People, Including Father And Toddler

    Man Convicted Of First-Degree Murder Eight Years After Shooting In Surrey, B.C.

    Man Convicted Of First-Degree Murder Eight Years After Shooting In Surrey, B.C.
    A jury has convicted a man of first-degree murder, eight years after a shooting death in a Surrey, B.C., apartment.

    Man Convicted Of First-Degree Murder Eight Years After Shooting In Surrey, B.C.

    After Bruising Month-Long Campaign, Voters Decide In British Columbia

    After Bruising Month-Long Campaign, Voters Decide In British Columbia
    Voters across British Columbia are marking their ballots as a sometimes bruising 28-day election campaign fought on jobs, the economy and the influence of big donors in provincial politics wraps up.

    After Bruising Month-Long Campaign, Voters Decide In British Columbia

    PIC: NDP Bus Spins Its Wheels As All Parties Leaders Push Before Tuesday's Election

    PIC: NDP Bus Spins Its Wheels As All Parties Leaders Push Before Tuesday's Election
    NDP Leader John Horgan tweeted that he was less worried about his bus and more concerned about British Columbians getting stuck with four more years of Liberal Leader Christy Clark.

    PIC: NDP Bus Spins Its Wheels As All Parties Leaders Push Before Tuesday's Election

    Christy Clark Still Smiling About Chances As B.C. Election Enters Homeward Stretch

    Christy Clark Still Smiling About Chances As B.C. Election Enters Homeward Stretch
    PRINCETON, B.C. — Christy Clark appears unruffled by the rebuff of a shy one-year-old outside a cafe in southern British Columbia, who buries his head in his father's shoulder.

    Christy Clark Still Smiling About Chances As B.C. Election Enters Homeward Stretch

    Ontario Man Who Sent Intimate Phone Photo To Woman's Son Has 3-year Jail Term Upheld

    Ontario Man Who Sent Intimate Phone Photo To Woman's Son Has 3-year Jail Term Upheld
    In dismissing a sentencing challenge by Daniel Myles, the Ontario Court of Appeal sided with a lower court judge in Hamilton who rejected the joint punishment submission last year.

    Ontario Man Who Sent Intimate Phone Photo To Woman's Son Has 3-year Jail Term Upheld