Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Huge Wildfires In B.C. Could Smoulder Until Next Spring, Says Official

The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — A municipal leader in British Columbia's central Interior says he wouldn't be surprised if wildfires that have chewed through more than 10,600 square kilometres of woodland won't be fully out until 2018.
     
    Chairman Al Richmond of the Cariboo Regional District said hot spots from many of the largest fires likely won't be doused until the spring, mirroring the Fort McMurray wildfire that Alberta officials said was finally declared extinguished on Aug. 2.
     
    "It goes down deep into the roots sometimes and then pops up again in the summer," he said. "That's not unusual, so I think the forest service felt we will be out dealing with these fires until well into October. And we will probably be back with many hot spots again come spring."
     
    A small wildfire that flared up near Canim Lake, east of 100 Mile House, prompted a tactical evacuation of about 88 properties. There was no formal evacuation order but an alert was in place.
     
    Huge swaths of land that are now just barren stretches of ash-covered ground and charred timber also worry the regional district as it prepares for rain in the fall.
     
    "If we have some rains here, which we will be thankful to have to douse the fires, they could bring a mixed blessing and cause some land slippage too, so it's not a pretty picture," said Richmond.
     
    Scores of wildfires burned across British Columbia on Friday. An 1,800 square kilometre straddling the Cariboo and Thompson-Nicola regional districts flared again.
     
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said the blaze, sparked at the beginning of July near Ashcroft, was 50 per cent contained but recent scorching heat and gusty winds caused the fire to grow.
     
    All available resources, including structural protection crews were sent to the area, the wildfire service said.
     
    In southeastern B.C., an evacuation alert was issued late Thursday for nearly 500 properties about 35 kilometres east of Nelson as a wildfire caused by lightning that broke out in late July grew to 25 square kilometres.
     
    Wildfire service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said a full backcountry closure was not planned over the Labour Day weekend, but the province strongly recommended that people stay out of woods in the critically dry Kamloops, Cariboo and southeast fire centres.
     
    Campfires remain banned in those areas. The BC Conservation Service said its officers issued 37 tickets over the last week to people who violated the order.
     
    This has been a record-breaking wildfire season for B.C.
     
    Finance Minister Carole James said earlier this month the cost of the fires was tracking $389 million over the budget estimate in February and updated firefighting costs will be included in September's financial update.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Halifax Mayor Moonlights As Stand-up Comic For Comedy Festival Saturday

    Halifax Mayor Moonlights As Stand-up Comic For Comedy Festival Saturday
    Mike Savage, known for his off-the-cuff jokes and one-liners in council chambers, will take his humour to the stage of the Halifax Comedy Fest.

    Halifax Mayor Moonlights As Stand-up Comic For Comedy Festival Saturday

    Appeal Court Tosses Out Conviction Of Man Found Guilty Of Molesting Young Girls

    Appeal Court Tosses Out Conviction Of Man Found Guilty Of Molesting Young Girls
    CHARLOTTETOWN — A P.E.I. man found guilty of molesting his three stepdaughters has had his conviction overturned after an appeal court found problems with the length of time it took to get videotaped statements from the girls.

    Appeal Court Tosses Out Conviction Of Man Found Guilty Of Molesting Young Girls

    Forces Say They Wants To Oust 77 Members For Sexual Misconduct

    Forces Say They Wants To Oust 77 Members For Sexual Misconduct
    Many of the cases are older and none of the members have been released yet, as their files go through what the military says is due process.

    Forces Say They Wants To Oust 77 Members For Sexual Misconduct

    Vancouver Police Issue Public Warning Following East Vancouver Sexual Assaults

    Vancouver Police are warning the public after two women were approached by a suspicious man, and a third woman was sexually assaulted, early this morning in East ‎Vancouver.

    Vancouver Police Issue Public Warning Following East Vancouver Sexual Assaults

    Life Has No Meaning': Mother Of Missing UBC Student Makes Tearful Plea For Answers

    Life Has No Meaning': Mother Of Missing UBC Student Makes Tearful Plea For Answers
    Lupe Carrera travelled to Vancouver from Ecuador and spoke at a news conference at the University of British Columbia

    Life Has No Meaning': Mother Of Missing UBC Student Makes Tearful Plea For Answers

    WATCH: Housing, The Overdose Crisis, Leadership Feature In Feisty B.C. Leaders' Debate

    WATCH: Housing, The Overdose Crisis, Leadership Feature In Feisty B.C. Leaders' Debate
    B.C. Leaders Get Personal During Election Debate 2017 - John Horgan And Andrew Weaver Had The Feistiest Exchanges, Says Former Strategist

    WATCH: Housing, The Overdose Crisis, Leadership Feature In Feisty B.C. Leaders' Debate