Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Huge Wildfires In B.C. Could Smoulder Until Next Spring, Says Official

The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — A municipal leader in British Columbia's central Interior says he wouldn't be surprised if wildfires that have chewed through more than 10,600 square kilometres of woodland won't be fully out until 2018.
     
    Chairman Al Richmond of the Cariboo Regional District said hot spots from many of the largest fires likely won't be doused until the spring, mirroring the Fort McMurray wildfire that Alberta officials said was finally declared extinguished on Aug. 2.
     
    "It goes down deep into the roots sometimes and then pops up again in the summer," he said. "That's not unusual, so I think the forest service felt we will be out dealing with these fires until well into October. And we will probably be back with many hot spots again come spring."
     
    A small wildfire that flared up near Canim Lake, east of 100 Mile House, prompted a tactical evacuation of about 88 properties. There was no formal evacuation order but an alert was in place.
     
    Huge swaths of land that are now just barren stretches of ash-covered ground and charred timber also worry the regional district as it prepares for rain in the fall.
     
    "If we have some rains here, which we will be thankful to have to douse the fires, they could bring a mixed blessing and cause some land slippage too, so it's not a pretty picture," said Richmond.
     
    Scores of wildfires burned across British Columbia on Friday. An 1,800 square kilometre straddling the Cariboo and Thompson-Nicola regional districts flared again.
     
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said the blaze, sparked at the beginning of July near Ashcroft, was 50 per cent contained but recent scorching heat and gusty winds caused the fire to grow.
     
    All available resources, including structural protection crews were sent to the area, the wildfire service said.
     
    In southeastern B.C., an evacuation alert was issued late Thursday for nearly 500 properties about 35 kilometres east of Nelson as a wildfire caused by lightning that broke out in late July grew to 25 square kilometres.
     
    Wildfire service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said a full backcountry closure was not planned over the Labour Day weekend, but the province strongly recommended that people stay out of woods in the critically dry Kamloops, Cariboo and southeast fire centres.
     
    Campfires remain banned in those areas. The BC Conservation Service said its officers issued 37 tickets over the last week to people who violated the order.
     
    This has been a record-breaking wildfire season for B.C.
     
    Finance Minister Carole James said earlier this month the cost of the fires was tracking $389 million over the budget estimate in February and updated firefighting costs will be included in September's financial update.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Man Pleads Guilty To Drug Smuggling Charges In Washington State

    B.C. Man Pleads Guilty To Drug Smuggling Charges In Washington State
    SEATTLE — A British Columbia man who unsuccessfully fought extradition all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada has pleaded guilty to drug charges in the United States.

    B.C. Man Pleads Guilty To Drug Smuggling Charges In Washington State

    High Drama As Firefighters Rescue Woman Atop Crane In Downtown Toronto

    High Drama As Firefighters Rescue Woman Atop Crane In Downtown Toronto
    The woman, believed to be in her mid-20s, was then handcuffed and handed over to paramedics. Her name has not been released and police say she is facing a mischief charge.

    High Drama As Firefighters Rescue Woman Atop Crane In Downtown Toronto

    Kevin O'Leary To Quit Conservative Leadership Race, Support Maxime Bernier

    OTTAWA — Celebrity investor and reality-TV star Kevin O'Leary is quitting the federal Conservative leadership race and throwing his support behind Quebec rival Maxime Bernier.

    Kevin O'Leary To Quit Conservative Leadership Race, Support Maxime Bernier

    Wife Of Accused B.C. Polygamist Testifies About Life As A Sister-Wife

    Wife Of Accused B.C. Polygamist Testifies About Life As A Sister-Wife
    CRANBROOK, B.C. — The first legal wife of a man accused of polygamy has testified in B.C. Supreme Court about her marriage and life as a sister-wife with up to two dozen other women.

    Wife Of Accused B.C. Polygamist Testifies About Life As A Sister-Wife

    Terrorism Concerns Lead To Security Changes At Passport Offices

    Terrorism Concerns Lead To Security Changes At Passport Offices
    OTTAWA — The federal government has been quietly making changes to passport offices in a bid to improve security and address concerns that the facilities could be easy targets for a terrorist attack.

    Terrorism Concerns Lead To Security Changes At Passport Offices

    Premier Christy Clark Calls On Ottawa To Ban Coal Exports After Softwood Lumber Duties

    Premier Christy Clark Calls On Ottawa To Ban Coal Exports After Softwood Lumber Duties
      Clark says she has written to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau asking Ottawa to act by stopping the export of the coal, including from the United States.

    Premier Christy Clark Calls On Ottawa To Ban Coal Exports After Softwood Lumber Duties