Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Huge Wildfires In B.C. Could Smoulder Until Next Spring, Says Official

The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — A municipal leader in British Columbia's central Interior says he wouldn't be surprised if wildfires that have chewed through more than 10,600 square kilometres of woodland won't be fully out until 2018.
     
    Chairman Al Richmond of the Cariboo Regional District said hot spots from many of the largest fires likely won't be doused until the spring, mirroring the Fort McMurray wildfire that Alberta officials said was finally declared extinguished on Aug. 2.
     
    "It goes down deep into the roots sometimes and then pops up again in the summer," he said. "That's not unusual, so I think the forest service felt we will be out dealing with these fires until well into October. And we will probably be back with many hot spots again come spring."
     
    A small wildfire that flared up near Canim Lake, east of 100 Mile House, prompted a tactical evacuation of about 88 properties. There was no formal evacuation order but an alert was in place.
     
    Huge swaths of land that are now just barren stretches of ash-covered ground and charred timber also worry the regional district as it prepares for rain in the fall.
     
    "If we have some rains here, which we will be thankful to have to douse the fires, they could bring a mixed blessing and cause some land slippage too, so it's not a pretty picture," said Richmond.
     
    Scores of wildfires burned across British Columbia on Friday. An 1,800 square kilometre straddling the Cariboo and Thompson-Nicola regional districts flared again.
     
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said the blaze, sparked at the beginning of July near Ashcroft, was 50 per cent contained but recent scorching heat and gusty winds caused the fire to grow.
     
    All available resources, including structural protection crews were sent to the area, the wildfire service said.
     
    In southeastern B.C., an evacuation alert was issued late Thursday for nearly 500 properties about 35 kilometres east of Nelson as a wildfire caused by lightning that broke out in late July grew to 25 square kilometres.
     
    Wildfire service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said a full backcountry closure was not planned over the Labour Day weekend, but the province strongly recommended that people stay out of woods in the critically dry Kamloops, Cariboo and southeast fire centres.
     
    Campfires remain banned in those areas. The BC Conservation Service said its officers issued 37 tickets over the last week to people who violated the order.
     
    This has been a record-breaking wildfire season for B.C.
     
    Finance Minister Carole James said earlier this month the cost of the fires was tracking $389 million over the budget estimate in February and updated firefighting costs will be included in September's financial update.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    28-Yr-Old Muzaffer Darwaish Found Dead In Popular Richmond Park Was Shot

    28-Yr-Old Muzaffer Darwaish Found Dead In Popular Richmond Park Was Shot
    A murder victim, whose body was found Monday morning along the banks of the Fraser River in Richmond, has been identified as Muzaffer Darwaish, a 28-year-old Richmond resident.

    28-Yr-Old Muzaffer Darwaish Found Dead In Popular Richmond Park Was Shot

    Calgary Couple Accused Of Abusing Their Nieces And Nephew To Learn Fate In June

    Calgary Couple Accused Of Abusing Their Nieces And Nephew To Learn Fate In June
    The children's parents were killed in a car crash in the U.S. more than a decade ago and the kids were adopted by their aunt and uncle, who moved them to Calgary.

    Calgary Couple Accused Of Abusing Their Nieces And Nephew To Learn Fate In June

    Help Surrey Police Identify This Fraudster Who Drained Thousands Of Dollars From A Victim's Bank Acc

    Help Surrey Police Identify This Fraudster Who Drained Thousands Of Dollars From A Victim's Bank Acc
    Surrey RCMP is asking for the public’s assistance in identifying an alleged fraudster that drained thousands of dollars from a victim’s bank account.

    Help Surrey Police Identify This Fraudster Who Drained Thousands Of Dollars From A Victim's Bank Acc

    U.S. Man Accused Of Taking Loaded Gun To CN Tower

    U.S. Man Accused Of Taking Loaded Gun To CN Tower
    TORONTO — An American man visiting Toronto is facing charges after police say he allegedly tried to take a loaded gun into the CN Tower.

    U.S. Man Accused Of Taking Loaded Gun To CN Tower

    B.C. New Democrat Leader John Horgan Promises New Hospital, Urgent Care Centre For Burnaby

    B.C. New Democrat Leader John Horgan Promises New Hospital, Urgent Care Centre For Burnaby
    NDP Leader John Horgan says the money would come from a five-year, $10 billion capital investment plan that is part of the party's platform in the May 9 election campaign.

    B.C. New Democrat Leader John Horgan Promises New Hospital, Urgent Care Centre For Burnaby

    Justin Trudeau Says His Father Got His Brother Help In Dealing With Pot Charge

    Justin Trudeau Says His Father Got His Brother Help In Dealing With Pot Charge
    TORONTO — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his younger brother, Michel, was able to avoid a criminal record after he was caught with marijuana because of his father's connections.

    Justin Trudeau Says His Father Got His Brother Help In Dealing With Pot Charge