Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Huge Wildfires In B.C. Could Smoulder Until Next Spring, Says Official

The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — A municipal leader in British Columbia's central Interior says he wouldn't be surprised if wildfires that have chewed through more than 10,600 square kilometres of woodland won't be fully out until 2018.
     
    Chairman Al Richmond of the Cariboo Regional District said hot spots from many of the largest fires likely won't be doused until the spring, mirroring the Fort McMurray wildfire that Alberta officials said was finally declared extinguished on Aug. 2.
     
    "It goes down deep into the roots sometimes and then pops up again in the summer," he said. "That's not unusual, so I think the forest service felt we will be out dealing with these fires until well into October. And we will probably be back with many hot spots again come spring."
     
    A small wildfire that flared up near Canim Lake, east of 100 Mile House, prompted a tactical evacuation of about 88 properties. There was no formal evacuation order but an alert was in place.
     
    Huge swaths of land that are now just barren stretches of ash-covered ground and charred timber also worry the regional district as it prepares for rain in the fall.
     
    "If we have some rains here, which we will be thankful to have to douse the fires, they could bring a mixed blessing and cause some land slippage too, so it's not a pretty picture," said Richmond.
     
    Scores of wildfires burned across British Columbia on Friday. An 1,800 square kilometre straddling the Cariboo and Thompson-Nicola regional districts flared again.
     
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said the blaze, sparked at the beginning of July near Ashcroft, was 50 per cent contained but recent scorching heat and gusty winds caused the fire to grow.
     
    All available resources, including structural protection crews were sent to the area, the wildfire service said.
     
    In southeastern B.C., an evacuation alert was issued late Thursday for nearly 500 properties about 35 kilometres east of Nelson as a wildfire caused by lightning that broke out in late July grew to 25 square kilometres.
     
    Wildfire service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said a full backcountry closure was not planned over the Labour Day weekend, but the province strongly recommended that people stay out of woods in the critically dry Kamloops, Cariboo and southeast fire centres.
     
    Campfires remain banned in those areas. The BC Conservation Service said its officers issued 37 tickets over the last week to people who violated the order.
     
    This has been a record-breaking wildfire season for B.C.
     
    Finance Minister Carole James said earlier this month the cost of the fires was tracking $389 million over the budget estimate in February and updated firefighting costs will be included in September's financial update.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Winnipeg Woman Fined For Posing As A Nurse To Get Job, Access To Drugs

    Winnipeg Woman Fined For Posing As A Nurse To Get Job, Access To Drugs
    WINNIPEG — A Manitoba nurse has been ordered to pay $10,000 for posing as another nurse to gain access to narcotics.

    Winnipeg Woman Fined For Posing As A Nurse To Get Job, Access To Drugs

    Kinder Surprise: Woman Gets 3 Years For Trafficking Drugs In Chocolate Eggs

    Kinder Surprise: Woman Gets 3 Years For Trafficking Drugs In Chocolate Eggs
    Bonny Maddaford, who is 45, pleaded guilty last month to trafficking cocaine, trafficking marijuana and breach of trust.

    Kinder Surprise: Woman Gets 3 Years For Trafficking Drugs In Chocolate Eggs

    B.C. Greens Promise To Balance Budget, Make Tax System More Progressive

    VANCOUVER — British Columbia's Green party is hoping its promise to balance the province's books will shore up the group's economic credentials and translate into more support at the ballot box come election day.

    B.C. Greens Promise To Balance Budget, Make Tax System More Progressive

    Man Charged After Female TV Reporter Hit With Sexist ‘FHRITP’ Slur In Newfoundland: Police

    Man Charged After Female TV Reporter Hit With Sexist ‘FHRITP’ Slur In Newfoundland: Police
    A 27-year-old Newfoundland man has been charged for allegedly yelling a sexually explicit phrase at a TV journalist, who went to police with the complaint because she said she has had enough of being harassed with the vulgar comments.

    Man Charged After Female TV Reporter Hit With Sexist ‘FHRITP’ Slur In Newfoundland: Police

    'Somebody Knows Something:' Police Rule Death Of Calgary Baby In 2015 A Homicide

    Calgary Police Insp. Don Coleman say Cyrus Nel was found in need of medical attention in August 2015 at his family home after a 911 call.

    'Somebody Knows Something:' Police Rule Death Of Calgary Baby In 2015 A Homicide

    Trump's New Threat, After Lumber Tax, On Canadian Dairy: 'Watch!'

    Trump's New Threat, After Lumber Tax, On Canadian Dairy: 'Watch!'
    The president tweeted Tuesday: "Canada has made business for our dairy farmers in Wisconsin and other border states very difficult. We will not stand for this. Watch!"

    Trump's New Threat, After Lumber Tax, On Canadian Dairy: 'Watch!'