Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

Richmond, B.C., council votes to back safe consumption site after fractious meetings

Richmond, B.C., council votes to back safe consumption site after fractious meetings
Richmond, B.C., resident Edward Cheung says many community members feel they know exactly what will happen if a supervised safe consumption drug site is established in the city. Cheung, whose parents live close to a supportive housing complex that opened in 2019, said in an interview on Wednesday that the neighbourhood has dealt with a spike in petty crime since then, and he is worried something similar would happen with a safe consumption site.

Richmond, B.C., council votes to back safe consumption site after fractious meetings

More upgrades to improve flood resilience in Abbotsford, B.C., after 2021 disaster

More upgrades to improve flood resilience in Abbotsford, B.C., after 2021 disaster
Premier David Eby says his government will provide almost $80 million to help upgrade Abbotsford's Barrowtown Pump Station, which was nearly overwhelmed in 2021 by atmospheric rivers that set off catastrophic flooding in the Sumas Prairie.  The area is a key bread basket for B.C., and Eby says the flooding on the Sumas Prairie could have been much worse had the pump station failed.   

More upgrades to improve flood resilience in Abbotsford, B.C., after 2021 disaster

Charges in crash that killed mom of 4

Charges in crash that killed mom of 4
A 56-year-old man has been charged after a fatal crash near Trail, B.C., in October 2022 that killed a mother of four and injured her children. BC Highway Patrol says Terry Jackson faces three charges, including the most serious allegation of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death.

Charges in crash that killed mom of 4

Carbon price rebates rising in most provinces April 1

Carbon price rebates rising in most provinces April 1
The federal carbon price will increase April 1 to $85 per tonne, up from $60. British Columbia and Quebec are the only two provinces that do not use the federal carbon levy as they have their own equivalent systems.

Carbon price rebates rising in most provinces April 1

Veteran B.C. politician Mike de Jong to leave legislature, mulls federal run

Veteran B.C. politician Mike de Jong to leave legislature, mulls federal run
Veteran British Columbia politician Mike de Jong has announced he will leave the legislature after a 30-year career in government and opposition. De Jong, who was first elected as a B.C. Liberal in a Fraser Valley byelection in 1994, says the time has come to leave the provincial legislature, but it may not be the end of his days in politics.

Veteran B.C. politician Mike de Jong to leave legislature, mulls federal run

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in Whistler, B.C., for Invictus Games training camp

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in Whistler, B.C., for Invictus Games training camp
The purpose of this week's training camp is to support nations taking part in the Games to build year-round adaptive sports programs. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are scheduled to join the participants during some of the events at the camp today and Thursday in Whistler and on Friday in Vancouver.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in Whistler, B.C., for Invictus Games training camp