Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

Minister was warned lifting international student work limit could undermine program

Minister was warned lifting international student work limit could undermine program
Allowing international students to work more than 20 hours a week could distract from their studies and undermine the objective of temporary foreign worker programs, public servants warned the federal government in 2022. The caution came in documents prepared for former immigration minister Sean Fraser as Ottawa looked at waiving the restriction on the number of hours international students could work off-campus — a policy the Liberals eventually implemented.  

Minister was warned lifting international student work limit could undermine program

Prince Harry, wife Meghan visit B.C. this week in one-year lead-up to Invictus Games

Prince Harry, wife Meghan visit B.C. this week in one-year lead-up to Invictus Games
Prince Harry and Meghan are in B.C. this week for the participating nations camp, where Invictus Games athletes and coaches from 19 countries will convene for lessons in the sports, including the new winter sports added to the 2025 Games of alpine skiing, snowboarding, skeleton, biathlon and wheelchair curling.   

Prince Harry, wife Meghan visit B.C. this week in one-year lead-up to Invictus Games

Economic anxiety high, faith in political leaders low in Canada, survey suggests

Economic anxiety high, faith in political leaders low in Canada, survey suggests
Canadians are stressed out about the economy and have little faith in politicians or governments to fix big problems, a new survey suggests. The annual CanTrust Index published by Proof Strategies queries Canadians about their level in trust in everything from political leaders and businesses to corporations, the media, bankers and scientists.

Economic anxiety high, faith in political leaders low in Canada, survey suggests

One person taken to hospital after cougar attack in Banff National Park

One person taken to hospital after cougar attack in Banff National Park
A cougar attack in a popular wilderness area of Banff National Park has left one person with minor injuries. EMS crews responded to the Rockbound Lake trailhead around 11 a.m. on Monday for reports that a person had been attacked by a cougar, said Alberta Health Services. 

One person taken to hospital after cougar attack in Banff National Park

Fraser announces $176 million in housing deals with more than 60 rural communities

Fraser announces $176 million in housing deals with more than 60 rural communities
The federal government will roll out more than 60 housing agreements with small and rural communities across the country over the next few weeks, Housing Minister Sean Fraser announced Tuesday. Fraser said in a news conference that the deals are worth $176 million and will help build more than 50,000 housing units over the next decade.  

Fraser announces $176 million in housing deals with more than 60 rural communities

Coquitlam shooting lands 2 in hospital

Coquitlam shooting lands 2 in hospital
Police in Coquitlam say they're investigating a shooting late Sunday night that injured two people in a parking lot.  Mounties say they went to the lot near Barnet Highway and Pinetree Way just before midnight on February 11th. 

Coquitlam shooting lands 2 in hospital