Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Incoming prime minister Mark Carney says he has put his assets in a blind trust

Darpan News Desk IANS, 11 Mar, 2025 09:48 AM
  • Incoming prime minister Mark Carney says he has put his assets in a blind trust

Mark Carney's leadership campaign says he has given a "full and robust conflict of interest management plan" to the country's ethics commissioner.

In a media statement, the campaign says that as part of that plan, Carney has divested all of his assets other than personal real estate into a blind trust.

The campaign spokesperson says this happened four months before it was required by law.

Carney will become subject to Canada's conflict of interest laws once he's sworn in as prime minister, giving him a 60-day window to disclose financial information to the ethics commissioner.

Within 120 days of taking office, a cabinet minister or parliamentary secretary must divest controlled assets by selling them at arm's length or putting them in a blind trust.

The Conservatives have taken aim at Carney over his assets in recent weeks, calling him "sneaky" and claiming he was exploiting a loophole in the laws by not disclosing his assets as soon as he became a candidate for the Liberal leadership.

MORE National ARTICLES

Lineup released for the Invictus Games

Lineup released for the Invictus Games
Vancouver Whistler Games Corporation has announced the lineup for the closing ceremonies of the 2025 Invictus Games. The closing ceremony, which will take place at Rogers Arena on February 16th, will include Nashville country singer Jelly Roll, Canadian rock band Barenaked Ladies, and Americana music duo The War And Treaty.

Lineup released for the Invictus Games

Avian flu at 2 farms in Abbotsford

Avian flu at 2 farms in Abbotsford
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says it has detected the presence of highly pathogenic avian influenza at two more commercial poultry farms in Abbotsford.  The agency currently lists 43 premises in B-C where the flu has been detected in bird flocks.

Avian flu at 2 farms in Abbotsford

Emergency alert test coming as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

Emergency alert test coming as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds
A test for Canada's emergency alert system is set to take place just as British Columbia cleans up from a so-called "bomb cyclone" weather system that cut power and battered parts of the coast with hurricane-force winds. The national alert system is typically tested twice a year, with the next test set to take place today at 1:55 p.m. Pacific time.

Emergency alert test coming as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

B.C. port union challenges constitutionality of labour minister's back-to-work order

B.C. port union challenges constitutionality of labour minister's back-to-work order
The union representing port supervisors in British Columbia is formally challenging the legal and constitutional authority of the federal labour minister to order them back to work. In a legal document dated Tuesday, International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 says it's questioning whether the order issued by Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon last week violates the right to collective bargaining and the right to strike.

B.C. port union challenges constitutionality of labour minister's back-to-work order

Some Canadian cities building temporary housing facilities to accommodate refugees

Some Canadian cities building temporary housing facilities to accommodate refugees
A significant increase in the number of refugees and asylum seekers in Canada has prompted some cities to start building temporary housing for new arrivals. The city of Ottawa is working to establish what's known as a sprung structure that serves as both a temporary shelter and a centre to provide settlement services such as language training and employment assistance. 

Some Canadian cities building temporary housing facilities to accommodate refugees

Trial sees texts between men accused in migrants' deaths by Manitoba-Minnesota border

Trial sees texts between men accused in migrants' deaths by Manitoba-Minnesota border
The trial of two men accused of human smuggling is getting a look at messages the prosecution says prove the pair conspired to sneak people across the Canada-United States border. Steve Shand and Harshkumar Patel have pleaded not guilty to charges of organizing several illegal crossings of Indian nationals from Manitoba to Minnesota in late 2021 and early 2022.

Trial sees texts between men accused in migrants' deaths by Manitoba-Minnesota border