Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Incoming prime minister Mark Carney says he has put his assets in a blind trust

Darpan News Desk IANS, 11 Mar, 2025 09:48 AM
  • Incoming prime minister Mark Carney says he has put his assets in a blind trust

Mark Carney's leadership campaign says he has given a "full and robust conflict of interest management plan" to the country's ethics commissioner.

In a media statement, the campaign says that as part of that plan, Carney has divested all of his assets other than personal real estate into a blind trust.

The campaign spokesperson says this happened four months before it was required by law.

Carney will become subject to Canada's conflict of interest laws once he's sworn in as prime minister, giving him a 60-day window to disclose financial information to the ethics commissioner.

Within 120 days of taking office, a cabinet minister or parliamentary secretary must divest controlled assets by selling them at arm's length or putting them in a blind trust.

The Conservatives have taken aim at Carney over his assets in recent weeks, calling him "sneaky" and claiming he was exploiting a loophole in the laws by not disclosing his assets as soon as he became a candidate for the Liberal leadership.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadians favour government intervention in Canada Post, port labour disputes: poll

Canadians favour government intervention in Canada Post, port labour disputes: poll
Polling firm Leger found 63 per cent of respondents to a new survey were in favour of the Liberal government's move to step in and ask the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order a resumption of port operations and move negotiations into binding arbitration. Nineteen per cent were opposed, and another 19 per cent said they didn't know.

Canadians favour government intervention in Canada Post, port labour disputes: poll

Bomb cyclone batters B.C. with hurricane-force winds, cutting roads and power

Bomb cyclone batters B.C. with hurricane-force winds, cutting roads and power
Hurricane-force winds of up to 170 km/h have slammed into parts of the British Columbia coast as a massive storm swirling off Vancouver Island severed highways and cut power to more than 200,000 people overnight. Winds from the bomb cyclone weather system exceeded 100 km/h in multiple areas late Tuesday, with gusts approaching 80 km/h at Vancouver's airport.

Bomb cyclone batters B.C. with hurricane-force winds, cutting roads and power

Canada, U.S. close embassies to public in Ukraine due to threat of Russian strikes

Canada, U.S. close embassies to public in Ukraine due to threat of Russian strikes
The Canadian and American embassies in Ukraine are closed to the public today after the U.S. warned of a "potential significant air attack" by Russia in Kyiv.  Ukraine's intelligence agency posted a statement today accusing Russia of spreading fake messages about the threat of an "extremely massive" attack on Ukrainian cities and urging people not to panic. 

Canada, U.S. close embassies to public in Ukraine due to threat of Russian strikes

'My heart sank': Trial hears diapers, mittens set off search for family found frozen

'My heart sank': Trial hears diapers, mittens set off search for family found frozen
Diapers, baby wipes, little mittens and two toy cars — one red and one white — were shown in photos at the trial. A few hours later, metres from the border on the Canadian side, RCMP found the frozen bodies of a family — Jagdish Patel, 39; his wife, Vaishaliben Patel, 37; their 11-year-old daughter, Vihangi; and their three-year-old son, Dharmik.

'My heart sank': Trial hears diapers, mittens set off search for family found frozen

Doctor sexually assaults 4 patients

Doctor sexually assaults 4 patients
Police in Calgary have charged a family doctor with sexually assaulting four patients.  They say four complainants came forward independently last year alleging they were sexually assaulted at a clinic in the city's northwest. 

Doctor sexually assaults 4 patients

Suspect at large after report of man with knife at University of Manitoba

Suspect at large after report of man with knife at University of Manitoba
Police in Winnipeg said Tuesday a suspect was at large following a report of a man armed with a large knife at the University of Manitoba. Const. Claude Chancy said officers were called about 6:30 a.m. to the university's Fort Garry campus for a report of a man dressed in black carrying a large knife into the Allen Building.

Suspect at large after report of man with knife at University of Manitoba