Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Nov, 2024 01:54 PM
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Intense flooding that hammered British Columbia's coast last month has led to more than $110 million in insured damage claims. 

The Insurance Bureau of Canada says insurers have been working with clients for the last few weeks since the Category 4 atmospheric river caused "significant flood damage" to Metro Vancouver properties in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Surrey.

The bureau says the intense rainfall and wind — which prompted a local state of emergency in North Vancouver on Oct. 20 — resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding on roads and in parking garages and basements. 

It says that while some residential flood insurance is available, it may be limited or inaccessible to some, forcing them to rely on government disaster financial assistance for their recovery. 

About 10 per cent of Canadian households cannot access flood insurance, and the bureau is again calling on the federal government to "fully fund" the National Flood Insurance Program.

It says a national program would provide financial protection to high-risk households, and reduce disaster costs to federal and provincial government treasuries.

"Rather than responding with disaster financial assistance in the aftermath of catastrophes, this program would be a proactive, cost-effective approach to managing the financial toll when disasters strike," the bureau says in a news release. 

"While the federal government has committed to its creation, the program has yet to be fully funded."

It says insured losses related to severe weather in Canada now routinely exceed $3 billion annually and a new record has been set this year, reaching more than $7.7 billion.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man steals Salvation Army donation kettle

Man steals Salvation Army donation kettle
Coquitlam R-C-M-P say they are looking for a man who stole a Salvation Army donation kettle from a local mall. Police say the theft happened on December 3rd at Coquitlam Centre Mall's southeast entrance facing Pinetree Way.

Man steals Salvation Army donation kettle

B.C. approves health research centre construction at new St. Paul's Hospital

B.C. approves health research centre construction at new St. Paul's Hospital
British Columbia's provincial government says it is going ahead with the construction of a $638-million "state-of-the-art" research centre at the new St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver. Premier David Eby said at a news conference after touring the construction progress at the new hospital that the province has approved the business plan and funding for the new research facility.  

B.C. approves health research centre construction at new St. Paul's Hospital

Amazon delivery drivers accused of stealing packages in Metro Vancouver

Amazon delivery drivers accused of stealing packages in Metro Vancouver
Mounties say the cases of porch piracy involved drivers making deliveries for the online retailer Amazon between September and late November. Police say the company proactively identified the possible thefts and notified RCMP in Burnaby, B.C., prompting officers to search the suspects' homes, where they found as many as 32 stolen packages at one location. The stolen items ranged from a $35 Apple AirTag tracking device to a men's watch valued at more than $600.

Amazon delivery drivers accused of stealing packages in Metro Vancouver

New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh, wife Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu welcome second baby girl

New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh, wife Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu welcome second baby girl
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh and his wife, Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu, are the proud parents of their second baby girl. Party officials say the baby is healthy and doing well, as is her mother. 

New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh, wife Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu welcome second baby girl

Trucker, Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, who caused Broncos crash loses latest bid to stay in Canada

Trucker, Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, who caused Broncos crash loses latest bid to stay in Canada
A federal judge has dismissed applications from the truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash in Saskatchewan and was fighting deportation back to India. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was sentenced to eight years for causing the 2018 crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others.  

Trucker, Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, who caused Broncos crash loses latest bid to stay in Canada

2 men charged in firearms trafficking

2 men charged in firearms trafficking
B-C's anti-gang enforcement unit says charges have been laid against two men who were accused of manufacturing guns and trafficking them. Justin Bos, a 38-year-old from Langley, has been charged with one count of firearms manufacturing, while 36-year-old Delta resident Matthew Whitty has been charged with two counts of possession of a restricted firearm. 

2 men charged in firearms trafficking