Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Nov, 2024 01:54 PM
  • Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Intense flooding that hammered British Columbia's coast last month has led to more than $110 million in insured damage claims. 

The Insurance Bureau of Canada says insurers have been working with clients for the last few weeks since the Category 4 atmospheric river caused "significant flood damage" to Metro Vancouver properties in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Surrey.

The bureau says the intense rainfall and wind — which prompted a local state of emergency in North Vancouver on Oct. 20 — resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding on roads and in parking garages and basements. 

It says that while some residential flood insurance is available, it may be limited or inaccessible to some, forcing them to rely on government disaster financial assistance for their recovery. 

About 10 per cent of Canadian households cannot access flood insurance, and the bureau is again calling on the federal government to "fully fund" the National Flood Insurance Program.

It says a national program would provide financial protection to high-risk households, and reduce disaster costs to federal and provincial government treasuries.

"Rather than responding with disaster financial assistance in the aftermath of catastrophes, this program would be a proactive, cost-effective approach to managing the financial toll when disasters strike," the bureau says in a news release. 

"While the federal government has committed to its creation, the program has yet to be fully funded."

It says insured losses related to severe weather in Canada now routinely exceed $3 billion annually and a new record has been set this year, reaching more than $7.7 billion.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Pawandeep Singh

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Pawandeep Singh
On November 25th Pawandeep Singh, 27, was reported missing to police. He was last seen on November 5, 2023 in the 8400-block of 171A Street. His last contact with a family member by phone was on November 20, 2023. Family and friends have not been able to make any contact with him since and are concerned for his wellbeing. Despite ongoing efforts, he has not been located.

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Pawandeep Singh

Calgary teen arrested in terrorism investigation to stay off social media sites

Calgary teen arrested in terrorism investigation to stay off social media sites
A 17-year-old Calgarian who was arrested as part of a national security investigation is to be prohibited from accessing social media and required to participate in an intervention plan that addresses ideological extremism.  The teen, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was arrested in June and was subject to a section of the Criminal Code that allows for a peace bond if there's fear the person may commit a terrorism offence.  

Calgary teen arrested in terrorism investigation to stay off social media sites

Province adopting new building and fire codes to speed up creation of homes

Province adopting new building and fire codes to speed up creation of homes
With a rush to build more housing across the province, the B-C government says it is adopting new building and fire codes for sustainability and creating homes faster.  The Ministry of Housing says the proposed changes to the building code will expand the use of mass timber in taller buildings, while helping to reduce carbon pollution.  

Province adopting new building and fire codes to speed up creation of homes

Pedestrian involved fatal collision in New Westminster

Pedestrian involved fatal collision in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are investigating a fatal accident involving a pedestrian. It happened yesterday afternoon and police say the pedestrian died at the scene. Sergeant Andrew Leaver says driver stayed at the crash site.

Pedestrian involved fatal collision in New Westminster

Highway 97 in Prince George closed both ways due to a crash

Highway 97 in Prince George closed both ways due to a crash
Mounties in Prince George are warning drivers that Highway 97 through the Salmon Valley is closed in both directions because of a crash. Police say a five-ton truck and a pickup were involved in the collision around 12:45 this afternoon.   

Highway 97 in Prince George closed both ways due to a crash

Climate change battering municipal finances across Canada

Climate change battering municipal finances across Canada
The hamlet of Gore, Que., had the foresight to start preparing for more intense annual flooding due to climate change a decade ago. That's when the rural township 60 kilometres northwest of Montreal began quadrupling the size of its culverts to accommodate greater water flow under its roads.

Climate change battering municipal finances across Canada