Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 10:59 AM
  • Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government's record on supporting national defence, following fresh criticism that Canada is failing to live up to its NATO defence-spending commitments.

Montreal's police chief says more arrests will be coming in Friday's anti-NATO protests that turned violent.

A downtown Montreal convention centre had a heavy police presence inside and out on Sunday, as the venue hosted a gathering of NATO delegates.

Demonstrations in the area saw vandalism including smashed windows and burned cars as well as alleged assaults on police officers.

Police estimate there were about 800 protesters but only about 20 to 40 were allegedly responsible for the trouble.

Speaking at the 70th annual session of the NATO parliamentary assembly in Montreal, Trudeau said his government stepped up "big time" after it came to power.

He said the country is now on a "clear path" to spend the equivalent of two per cent of GDP on defence by 2032, something Canada committed to spend annually at the 2023 NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania.

The Trudeau government is coming under renewed criticism from U.S. lawmakers for falling behind what other alliance members spend, with Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho) saying at the Halifax International Security Forum over the weekend that Canada has to do better.

President-elect Donald Trump has bristled over other countries failing to meet the two per cent target, and in 2018 said it should be raised to four per cent.

Canada consistently ranks at the back of the pack among NATO allies when it comes to how much it shells out on its military as a share of its GDP, and is only expected to hit 1.37 percent of GDP this year, according to NATO estimates from the summer.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

2 new judges appointed to BC's Provincial Court

2 new judges appointed to BC's Provincial Court
British Columbia's government has appointed two new Provincial Court judges to support consistent and timely access to justice. Parveen Nijjar and Paul Pearson have both been appointed and are set to start on July 25th.

2 new judges appointed to BC's Provincial Court

Liberal MP Ken McDonald says he won’t run again

Liberal MP Ken McDonald says he won’t run again
Liberal MP Ken McDonald, who opposed his party over the federal carbon price, says he won’t run in the next federal election. McDonald has represented the riding of Avalon in Newfoundland and Labrador since 2015, when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberals won a majority government.

Liberal MP Ken McDonald says he won’t run again

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74
Former CBC radio journalist and personality Rick Cluff, who was the longtime host of The Early Edition morning show in Vancouver, has died at the age of 74. The public broadcaster says Cluff died shortly after being diagnosed with cancer.

CBC broadcaster Rick Cluff, ex-host of Vancouver's The Early Edition, dead at 74

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content
In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver
Two individuals involved in a series of complex shoplifting cases in Metro Vancouver have pleaded guilty and were sentenced for their roles. Surrey Mounties say 51-year-old Nicoleta Rusu and 39-year-old Emil Marian Stan stole goods such as high-end fragrances and athletic clothing valued at 53-thousand dollars over a six-month span.

Complex shoplifting in Metro Vancouver

Road rage incident in Richmond

Road rage incident in Richmond
Police in Richmond are on the lookout after a road rage incident resulted in the occupant of one car opening fire on the driver of another vehicle. Richmond R-C-M-P say they responded to a call of shots fired on Hollybridge Way on the evening of June 28th.

Road rage incident in Richmond