Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2024 10:59 AM
  • Justin Trudeau defends spending record on military amid fresh criticism

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his government's record on supporting national defence, following fresh criticism that Canada is failing to live up to its NATO defence-spending commitments.

Montreal's police chief says more arrests will be coming in Friday's anti-NATO protests that turned violent.

A downtown Montreal convention centre had a heavy police presence inside and out on Sunday, as the venue hosted a gathering of NATO delegates.

Demonstrations in the area saw vandalism including smashed windows and burned cars as well as alleged assaults on police officers.

Police estimate there were about 800 protesters but only about 20 to 40 were allegedly responsible for the trouble.

Speaking at the 70th annual session of the NATO parliamentary assembly in Montreal, Trudeau said his government stepped up "big time" after it came to power.

He said the country is now on a "clear path" to spend the equivalent of two per cent of GDP on defence by 2032, something Canada committed to spend annually at the 2023 NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania.

The Trudeau government is coming under renewed criticism from U.S. lawmakers for falling behind what other alliance members spend, with Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho) saying at the Halifax International Security Forum over the weekend that Canada has to do better.

President-elect Donald Trump has bristled over other countries failing to meet the two per cent target, and in 2018 said it should be raised to four per cent.

Canada consistently ranks at the back of the pack among NATO allies when it comes to how much it shells out on its military as a share of its GDP, and is only expected to hit 1.37 percent of GDP this year, according to NATO estimates from the summer.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Murder charge in death of Tori Dunn

Murder charge in death of Tori Dunn
R-C-M-P homicide investigators say a man with a long criminal history has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of 30-year-old Tori Dunn in Surrey. Dunn died from injuries she sustained in what her father has described as a violent home invasion in the Port Kells neighbourhood on June 16th.

Murder charge in death of Tori Dunn

Poilievre's office silent on leader's Pride plans, other party chiefs look to attend

Poilievre's office silent on leader's Pride plans, other party chiefs look to attend
Pierre Poilievre is the only federal leader whose staff would not answer questions about whether their chief intends to participate in Pride events this summer. Instead, his office is pointing to Melissa Lantsman, the party's deputy leader, who attended a Pride flag-raising ceremony on Parliament Hill earlier this month.

Poilievre's office silent on leader's Pride plans, other party chiefs look to attend

Military was following 'legal orders' to try to rescue Afghan Sikhs, Gen. Eyre says

Military was following 'legal orders' to try to rescue Afghan Sikhs, Gen. Eyre says
The Canadian Armed Forces was following "legal orders" when it tried to rescue a group of Afghan Sikhs during the fall of Kabul three years ago, Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Wayne Eyre said. Eyre's comment came as former defence minister Harjit Sajjan explained his decision to intervene on behalf of a group of around 200 Afghan Sikhs who were trapped along with thousands of others in August 2021.

Military was following 'legal orders' to try to rescue Afghan Sikhs, Gen. Eyre says

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria
Police in Victoria say a man has been charged with murder stemming from a fatal stabbing attack in March. Police say the stabbing happened on March 31st in downtown Victoria, where officers found one male victim dead and another unidentified victim suffering from non-life-threatening injuries.

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria

B.C. Premier David Eby welcomes baby girl

B.C. Premier David Eby welcomes baby girl
Premier David Eby's special countdown ended with the announcement of the arrival of his newborn baby on Thursday, following his early campaign start for British Columbia's election. Eby says his third daughter, Gwendolyn Kay Eby, was born happy and healthy.

B.C. Premier David Eby welcomes baby girl

Truck hits family in Edmonton crosswalk, killing three-year-old boy: police

Truck hits family in Edmonton crosswalk, killing three-year-old boy: police
Police say a three-year-old boy has died after a pickup truck hit a family crossing a street in Edmonton. Police say the truck had quickly stopped at in intersection in the city's southwest while a woman and her two young children were in a marked crosswalk.

Truck hits family in Edmonton crosswalk, killing three-year-old boy: police