Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Landmark Calgary Tower Still Closed Seven Weeks After Elevator Scare

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Aug, 2019 07:58 PM

    CALGARY - One of Calgary's most recognizable landmarks remains closed seven weeks after an elevator with eight people on board plunged several floors.

     

    Aspen Properties, owner of the Calgary Tower, says it doesn't have an update on repairs to the elevator at the popular tourist destination.

     

    The agency that governs elevators in Alberta says the elevator is stuck in the same position it was in when it broke in July.

     

    The Alberta Elevating Devices and Amusement Ride Safety Association says the car is held up in an area of the elevator shaft that is not easily accessible.

     

    Aspen Properties' website says 300,000 people visit the 190-metre tower each year, paying for tickets, visiting the two restaurants and testing their courage on the glass floor.

     

    It took firefighters four hours to rescue the eight people trapped inside the elevator when a cable broke July 12 and the car stopped about 12 storeys up.

     

    Rescuers using a harness pulled passengers out of the disabled lift and lowered them to the ground.

     

    Patrons in the restaurant at the top of the tower walked down the stairs or were carried by firefighters.

    No one was injured.

     

    The Calgary Tower was built to celebrate Canada's centennial anniversary in 1967. It was completed in 1968. (CTV Calgary)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Mother Recalls Last Words Of Love For Two Girls Found Dead Christmas 2017

    Sarah Cotton testified Monday at the trial for Andrew Berry, who has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in the deaths of his daughters, four-year-old Aubrey and six-year-old Chloe.    

    B.C. Mother Recalls Last Words Of Love For Two Girls Found Dead Christmas 2017

    High-risk Sex Offender Wanted On Canada-wide Warrant Arrested In Vancouver

    Jonathan Cardinal, a 29-year-old federal sex offender who failed to return to his Vancouver halfway house last week, has been arrested by police.

    High-risk Sex Offender Wanted On Canada-wide Warrant Arrested In Vancouver

    Vancouver Police Renew Call For Help To Find Missing Man

    Vancouver Police are renewing a public appeal for help to locate a missing man and have released new photos.

    Vancouver Police Renew Call For Help To Find Missing Man

    Surrey Police Investigating 'Sudden Death' In Newton Home

    Surrey Police Investigating 'Sudden Death' In Newton Home
    Surrey RCMP is advising the public of a sudden death investigation which began after a deceased woman was located at a residence in Newton.  

    Surrey Police Investigating 'Sudden Death' In Newton Home

    Mississauga Woman Killed In 10th Homicide Of 2019

    Mississauga Woman Killed In 10th Homicide Of 2019
    On Monday, July 8, 2019 at approximately 2:48 a.m., officers responded to a bar in the area of Torbram Road and Drew Road, Mississauga in regards to a shooting.

    Mississauga Woman Killed In 10th Homicide Of 2019

    Surrey City Council Renames Street To Commemorate Komagata Maru Victims

    Surrey City Council has approved the renaming of a Surrey street to commemorate the victims of the 1914 Komagata Maru incident. 

    Surrey City Council Renames Street To Commemorate Komagata Maru Victims