Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Landmark Calgary Tower Still Closed Seven Weeks After Elevator Scare

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Aug, 2019 07:58 PM

    CALGARY - One of Calgary's most recognizable landmarks remains closed seven weeks after an elevator with eight people on board plunged several floors.

     

    Aspen Properties, owner of the Calgary Tower, says it doesn't have an update on repairs to the elevator at the popular tourist destination.

     

    The agency that governs elevators in Alberta says the elevator is stuck in the same position it was in when it broke in July.

     

    The Alberta Elevating Devices and Amusement Ride Safety Association says the car is held up in an area of the elevator shaft that is not easily accessible.

     

    Aspen Properties' website says 300,000 people visit the 190-metre tower each year, paying for tickets, visiting the two restaurants and testing their courage on the glass floor.

     

    It took firefighters four hours to rescue the eight people trapped inside the elevator when a cable broke July 12 and the car stopped about 12 storeys up.

     

    Rescuers using a harness pulled passengers out of the disabled lift and lowered them to the ground.

     

    Patrons in the restaurant at the top of the tower walked down the stairs or were carried by firefighters.

    No one was injured.

     

    The Calgary Tower was built to celebrate Canada's centennial anniversary in 1967. It was completed in 1968. (CTV Calgary)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Suspicious Fire In Surrey, B.c., Critically Injures Two Children

    Police Say Surrey House Fire That Badly Injured Two Children ‘Suspicious’

    Suspicious Fire In Surrey, B.c., Critically Injures Two Children

    Ninth Homicide Of The Year: Brampton Man Found Dead Identified As 54-YEAR-OLD AJAY CHIBBER

    The victim, AJAY CHIBBER, a 54 year-old man from Brampton was pronounced dead at the scene.

    Ninth Homicide Of The Year: Brampton Man Found Dead Identified As 54-YEAR-OLD AJAY CHIBBER

    Search Warrant Results in Firearm and Drug Seizure, 23-Yr-Old Sanveer Singh of Mississauga Arrested And Charged

    On July 5, 2019, investigators, with the assistance of the Tactical Unit, executed a Criminal Code search warrant in the area of Central Parkway and Eglinton Avenue, Mississauga. 

    Search Warrant Results in Firearm and Drug Seizure, 23-Yr-Old Sanveer Singh of Mississauga Arrested And Charged

    No Tsunami Or Damage Reported After Multiple Tremors Recorded Off B.C.

    No Tsunami Or Damage Reported After Multiple Tremors Recorded Off B.C.
    VANCOUVER - A series of earthquakes off British Columbia's coast on Friday may be linked to a stronger quake in the same area earlier in the week, experts say.    

    No Tsunami Or Damage Reported After Multiple Tremors Recorded Off B.C.

    Overdose Prevention Opens Where Crisis Grows In Powell River, B.C.

    Authority medical health officer Dr. Geoff McKee says the contaminated drug supply has been devastating for Powell River and they've found many who die of overdoses in B.C. have hidden their drug use, only to die alone.

    Overdose Prevention Opens Where Crisis Grows In Powell River, B.C.

    Quebec Man Faces Charges In Rash Of Underwear Thefts From Clotheslines

    Quebec Man Faces Charges In Rash Of Underwear Thefts From Clotheslines
    Police Say A Quebec Man Who Stole Women's Clothing From Clotheslines Also Left Them A Note With His Contact Details Saying He Was Interested In Buying Their Underwear Or Swimwear.    

    Quebec Man Faces Charges In Rash Of Underwear Thefts From Clotheslines