Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada not a significant source of fentanyl flowing into U.S., CBSA says

Canada not a significant source of fentanyl flowing into U.S., CBSA says
As Canada looks to beef up its border security after president-elect Donald Trump threatened tariffs while raising concerns about illicit fentanyl pouring into his country, border officials pointed out there's barely any coming from Canada. Though, none of them wanted to say the name Trump when they said so.

Canada not a significant source of fentanyl flowing into U.S., CBSA says

Rescue crews, aerial searchers on the lookout for missing skier at B.C. resort

Rescue crews, aerial searchers on the lookout for missing skier at B.C. resort
A skier has gone missing at a resort in the British Columbia Interior, and ground- and air-based search crews are canvassing the area for any sign of him. Sun Peaks Resort says in a statement that 68-year-old Tomasz Jaholkowski was last seen on Tuesday at its West Bowl chairlift on Tod Mountain, northeast of Kamloops. 

Rescue crews, aerial searchers on the lookout for missing skier at B.C. resort

B.C. aims to hang onto 'Hollywood north' title by boosting film and TV tax incentives

B.C. aims to hang onto 'Hollywood north' title by boosting film and TV tax incentives
Premier David Eby said the tax credit for international projects made in B.C. will jump from 28 to 36 per cent, and an incentive for Canadian-content productions will increase from 35 to 36 per cent. There's also a special bonus to attract blockbuster productions with budgets of $200 million.

B.C. aims to hang onto 'Hollywood north' title by boosting film and TV tax incentives

Trump brushes off Ford's threat to cut Ontario's electricity exports to U.S. states

Trump brushes off Ford's threat to cut Ontario's electricity exports to U.S. states
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump is brushing off threats from Ontario to restrict electricity exports. On Wednesday, Ford said Ontario is contemplating restricting electricity exports to Michigan, New York state and Minnesota if Trump imposes sweeping tariffs on all Canadian products.

Trump brushes off Ford's threat to cut Ontario's electricity exports to U.S. states

Canada can't say when it will clear 140,000 backlogged cases for First Nations kids

Canada can't say when it will clear 140,000 backlogged cases for First Nations kids
Canada told the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal it can't say when it will work through 140,000 backlogged requests for Jordan's Principle to be applied. The principle is a legal rule that stipulates that when a First Nations child needs health, social or educational services they are to receive them from the government first approached, with questions about final jurisdiction worked out afterward.

Canada can't say when it will clear 140,000 backlogged cases for First Nations kids

Man found guilty of second degree murder

Man found guilty of second degree murder
They say that Mounties in Richmond responded to a report of a body found on March 2, 2017, and I-HIT took over the file after they determined Allen William Skedden's death was suspicious. Police say the B-C Prosecution Service charged Adrianus Rosbergen in February 2022.

Man found guilty of second degree murder