Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

New conservation area announced for Rocky Mountain Trench in B.C.

New conservation area announced for Rocky Mountain Trench in B.C.
Another piece of the puzzle for conservation efforts along the Rocky Mountain Trench in B.C. is in place. Nature Conservancy Canada says wildlife including grizzly bear numbers have been declining in the region, which is why it added a new conservation area next to Kootenay National Park that links to a "network of already protected" lands.

New conservation area announced for Rocky Mountain Trench in B.C.

Settlement reached in complaint over Canada Post layoffs as strike hits four weeks

Settlement reached in complaint over Canada Post layoffs as strike hits four weeks
In a statement issued Wednesday night, the union said a mediated settlement has been reached that requires Canada Post to notify affected employees that they are not on a temporary layoff.

Settlement reached in complaint over Canada Post layoffs as strike hits four weeks

Canada says it wants to slash its emissions by half by 2035. Will that be enough?

Canada says it wants to slash its emissions by half by 2035. Will that be enough?
Canada is aiming to cut its emissions in half by 2035 compared to 2005 levels, a newly released target range that is lower than what a federal advisory body recommended. Environment and Climate Change Minister Steven Guilbeault says a target of reducing emissions by 45 to 50 per cent balances both ambition and achievability. 

Canada says it wants to slash its emissions by half by 2035. Will that be enough?

Border officials, RCMP to testify on impact of Trump's plans for border security

Border officials, RCMP to testify on impact of Trump's plans for border security
Canada Border Services Agency President Erin O'Gorman and Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner Michael Duheme will appear at the House of Commons public safety and national security committee. During the presidential race, Trump threatened to deport millions of undocumented people.

Border officials, RCMP to testify on impact of Trump's plans for border security

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.
Canada is preparing retaliatory tariffs in response to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's threat to levy a 25 per cent import tax on all Canadian goods, and Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to withhold the province's energy, which it exports to five states.

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death
Seven Vancouver police officers who were present when Myles Gray was beaten to death in August 2015 will face a public hearing into their conduct, B.C.'s police complaint commissioner says.  A statement issued Wednesday by Commissioner Prabhu Rajan said Gray died after police responded to a 911 call and used "significant forced to subdue and restrain him."

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death