Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Prince George RCMP seizes drugs and firearms

Prince George RCMP seizes drugs and firearms
Prince George R-C-M-P say they have seized drugs and multiple high-power firearms after officers saw a man set a stolen car on fire. The incident happened on November 29th, when police on patrol saw the arson took place.

Prince George RCMP seizes drugs and firearms

B.C. First Nation to develop salmon hatchery with Fisheries Department

B.C. First Nation to develop salmon hatchery with Fisheries Department
The Tsilhqot’in National Government in British Columbia says it has formed a "historic partnership" with the federal Fisheries Department to develop a permanent salmon conservation hatchery in its territory. It says the hatchery will be managed by the nation, which is host to three salmon-bearing watersheds: the Chilcotin, the Chilko, and the Taseko rivers.

B.C. First Nation to develop salmon hatchery with Fisheries Department

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes
A Nanaimo man has been taken to hospital after being stabbed with syringes in the bathroom of a local park. Mounties say the 58-year-old man is a City of Nanaimo employee and suffered injuries to his face and abdomen in the attack at about 10 a-m yesterday.

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes

21 year old missing Delta man Tajas found dead

21 year old missing Delta man Tajas found dead
Police in Delta say a man missing since Monday morning in the Metro Vancouver community has been found dead. Police say the man had left his home wearing nothing but underwear and suffered from a significant injury.

21 year old missing Delta man Tajas found dead

Union in B.C. port dispute seeks judicial review of federal back-to-work order

Union in B.C. port dispute seeks judicial review of federal back-to-work order
In an application dated Dec. 3, the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 says it is seeking to quash MacKinnon's direction on Nov. 12 to the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order a resumption of port operations in B.C. after a lockout imposed by employers.

Union in B.C. port dispute seeks judicial review of federal back-to-work order

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark
Canada Post and the union representing postal workers are in a war of words as a countrywide strike is on its 27th day. On Wednesday, Canada Post said the union's new demands are unaffordable and unsustainable, claiming they would cost more than $3 billion over four years at a time when the postal service is struggling financially. 

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark