Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

Passenger from B.C. had 10 kg of Christmas-wrapped meth: New Zealand border agency

Passenger from B.C. had 10 kg of Christmas-wrapped meth: New Zealand border agency
New Zealand's border agency says a woman is in custody after arriving on a flight from Vancouver with more than 10 kilograms of methamphetamine wrapped as Christmas presents. The New Zealand Customs Service says in a news release that the woman arrived in Auckland on Sunday, where she was questioned by officers.

Passenger from B.C. had 10 kg of Christmas-wrapped meth: New Zealand border agency

Family wants answers after Indigenous man's braids cut while in Edmonton hospital

Family wants answers after Indigenous man's braids cut while in Edmonton hospital
Family of an Indigenous man whose braids were cut and thrown away while he was staying in an Edmonton hospital want answers. Eve Adams says this past spring she went to visit her husband Dexter at Edmonton’s Royal Alexandra Hospital only to find the 84-year-old's braids, his eagle feather and some medicine had been put in the garbage can.

Family wants answers after Indigenous man's braids cut while in Edmonton hospital

Stranger sucker-punched in Downtown

Stranger sucker-punched in Downtown
Police in Vancouver say a 29-year-old man has been charged for allegedly sucker-punching a stranger in the city's downtown last month. It happened on November 28th outside the Hudson's Bay on West Georgia Street.

Stranger sucker-punched in Downtown

Eight-year-old killed after crash with snowplow near Castlegar

Eight-year-old killed after crash with snowplow near Castlegar
Police in British Columbia's southern Interior say a crash between an SUV and a snowplow dump truck has killed an eight-year-old boy. A statement from the RCMP's highway patrol division says the collision happened on Highway 3 near Castlegar, B.C., on Saturday around 8 a.m., when road conditions were "cold and icy with freezing rain."

Eight-year-old killed after crash with snowplow near Castlegar

Inmate dies in at Mission Institute

Inmate dies in at Mission Institute
Correctional Service Canada says an inmate at Mission Institute has died while in custody. It says 33-year-old Tyler Damien Van Basten had been serving a nearly four-year sentence that began in January. 

Inmate dies in at Mission Institute

Fifteen fisheries charges laid a decade after Mount Polley dam breached in B.C.

Fifteen fisheries charges laid a decade after Mount Polley dam breached in B.C.
A statement from the B.C. Conservation Officer Service says it worked with the Department of Fisheries and Environment and Climate Change Canada to investigate possible contraventions of the act. 

Fifteen fisheries charges laid a decade after Mount Polley dam breached in B.C.