Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2025 01:19 PM
  • Lawyer for hockey player suggests complainant led his client to bathroom for sex

A defence lawyer representing one of five hockey players on trial for sexual assault is suggesting the complainant was the one who took the reins during a sexual encounter with his client.

Daniel Brown, who represents Alex Formenton, suggested during cross-examination that the woman led Formenton into the bathroom to have sex after he said he didn't want to do it in front of the other players in the hotel room.

Brown suggested the woman guided Formenton during the encounter and established boundaries that he respected.

The woman, who cannot be identified under a publication ban, said Formenton followed her into the bathroom and she was “resigned” to sex occurring, but did not recall having any conversation with him about what was happening.

Formenton and his former world junior hockey teammates Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote have pleaded not guilty to sexual assault in connection with an encounter that took place at the Delta hotel in London, Ont., in the early hours of June 19, 2018.

McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.

The events at the heart of the trial took place as many members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team were in London for a series of events celebrating their gold-medal performance.

The complainant, who has been on the stand via CCTV since May 2, previously testified that she met some of the players at a downtown bar and went back to the hotel with McLeod. She and McLeod had sex, an encounter that is not part of the trial, court has heard.

The woman was naked and scared when other men came into the room afterward, she said. She was drunk and went on “autopilot,” engaging in various sexual acts that she believed the men wanted from her, she said.

When she tried to leave, they would coax her into coming back, putting an arm around her shoulders, she said.

Defence lawyers, meanwhile, suggest she asked McLeod to call his friends into the room so they could have some “fun” because she wanted a “wild night.”

She egged the men on, asking if anyone would have sex with her, the defence has suggested on multiple occasions over days of cross-examination.

The complainant maintains she has no memory of saying those things, and that they don’t sound like things she would say. If she did say them, she said, that would be a sign of her level of intoxication.

On Friday, the woman pushed back against a defence suggestion that she was embarrassed and ashamed for the choices she'd made the night of the alleged incident.

She said she made the choice to drink and dance at the bar where she first met some of the accused, not to "have them do what they did back at the hotel."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nicole Osborne

MORE National ARTICLES

After ‘reflecting,’ Sajjan didn’t attend Taylor Swift concert

After ‘reflecting,’ Sajjan didn’t attend Taylor Swift concert
Liberal Minister Harjit Sajjan did not attend the Taylor Swift concert in Vancouver Saturday, despite earlier defending his decision to accept the tickets. Global News first reported that Sajjan would be attending the concert with his daughter, on the taxpayer's dime as a guest of a provincial Crown corporation that owns BC Place. 

After ‘reflecting,’ Sajjan didn’t attend Taylor Swift concert

Search for Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks now likely a recovery mission

Search for Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks now likely a recovery mission
Authorities in New York state say the search for a 22-year-old Quebec hiker who went missing in the Adirondacks more than a week ago is now likely a recovery mission. The New York State Forest Rangers say heavy snow and cold temperatures have made the search "essentially impossible," and future efforts will depend on the weather. 

Search for Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks now likely a recovery mission

BC Coroners Service sees 'significant decline' in drug deaths, but reason unclear

BC Coroners Service sees 'significant decline' in drug deaths, but reason unclear
A statement from the service says 1,925 people have died in overdoses this year, down nine per cent from the first 10 months of 2023.  The 155 people who died from drug poisoning in October is also a drop from the 183 people who died in September.

BC Coroners Service sees 'significant decline' in drug deaths, but reason unclear

Swift's daily impact on Vancouver may have exceeded 2010 Games, says industry figure

Swift's daily impact on Vancouver may have exceeded 2010 Games, says industry figure
The CEO of the B.C. Restaurant and Food Services Association, Ian Tostenson, said the shows that ended Sunday had an effect that went far beyond other concert or sporting events in the city.

Swift's daily impact on Vancouver may have exceeded 2010 Games, says industry figure

Public assistance requested to locate injured missing 21 year old Delta man

Public assistance requested to locate injured missing 21 year old Delta man
The 21-year-old male, Tajas, is described as approximately 5’9” tall and 120 lbs. He has a "significant injury," and he left a home on foot at about 3:40 this morning wearing nothing but underwear.

Public assistance requested to locate injured missing 21 year old Delta man

Richmond RCMP say fraud cases yielded in over 33M in losses

Richmond RCMP say fraud cases yielded in over 33M in losses
R-C-M-P say fraud cases in Richmond in the past year has resulted in more than 33-million-dollars in losses, and residents need to stay vigilant. Mounties say Richmond residents reported 990 cases of fraud from January to December, up slightly from 945 cases in 2023.

Richmond RCMP say fraud cases yielded in over 33M in losses