Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville
Police say it was "miraculous" that no one was killed in a head-on collision that destroyed two vehicles near Parksville, B.C. A statement from B.C. Highway Patrol says three people, including a child, were taken to hospital after the crash Monday on Highway 19.

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs
Brenda Bailey is expected to speak today at an event hosted by the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce, her first public appearance after tabling the budget on the same day U.S. President Donald Trump imposed 25 per cent on Canadian goods.

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues
Canada's industry minister is looking to block what he calls "predatory investment behaviour" as a trade war with the United States continues. François-Philippe Champagne warned Wednesday that Canadian businesses could be at risk due to the sweeping tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump.

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico
Canada has responded with 25 per cent retaliatory tariffs on $30 billion worth of American products, and will expand them to cover another $125 billion in U.S. goods in 21 days.

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs
Travel agency Flight Centre Travel Group Canada says leisure bookings to American cities dropped 40 per cent in February from the same month in 2024, while one in five customers cancelled their trips to the U.S. over the past three months.

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs

Former B.C. MLA Mike de Jong ousted from federal Conservative nomination race

Former B.C. MLA Mike de Jong ousted from federal Conservative nomination race
Former B.C. finance minister Mike de Jong says he's been told by the Conservative Party of Canada that he is no longer in the running to be a candidate for the party in the next federal election. He says he found it "mystifying" that the party won't allow him to contest the nomination in the riding of Abbotsford-South Langley after campaigning for the spot for almost a year. 

Former B.C. MLA Mike de Jong ousted from federal Conservative nomination race