Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jun, 2025 12:22 PM
  • Leaders should ignore Trump outbursts at G7 summit: Former PM Chrétien

Former prime minister Jean Chrétien says dignitaries attending next week's G7 leaders summit in Alberta should avoid engaging the "crazy" from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Chrétien, speaking Thursday at a conference in Calgary, said leaders can't predict what Trump might do, the president can be a bully and it would be best if the rest of the G7 leaders ignored any outbursts.

"If he has decided to make a show to be in the news, he will do something crazy," Chrétien said. 

"Let him do it and keep talking normally."

Chrétien said leaders should follow the example set by Prime Minister Mark Carney when he visited Trump at the White House last month.

"When Trump talked about Canada to be part of the United States, (Carney) just said, 'Canada is not for sale, the White House is not for sale, Buckingham Palace is not for sale,'" Chrétien said.

"Trump said 'Never say never' (but Carney) didn't even reply. He just moved on with the discussion. It's the way to handle that."

Carney is hosting Trump and world leaders from France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Italy and the European Union for the three-day summit starting Sunday in the Rocky Mountains southwest of Calgary.

Chrétien, who was speaking alongside his former deputy prime minister and finance minister John Manley, also said he supported Carney's decision to invite India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the summit.

Carney has been criticized for the invitation, including by a member of his own Liberal caucus, due to ongoing tensions between Canada and India over foreign interference and the 2023 killing of Sikh separatism activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in B.C. The RCMP has said it has evidence linking members of the Indian government to Singh's death.

"It's always good to talk," Chrétien said of the Modi invite. "They will be able to talk and they will see there are other problems."

"You have to navigate. You cannot always go on your high horse for every little problem you're confronted with."

Chrétien was one of two former Canadian prime ministers speaking at the conference, which is being hosted by the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy and the G7 Research Group.

The university says the conference is meant to bring experts and officials together to explain key issues G7 leaders are facing heading into the summit.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith also spoke at the conference.

She said the possibility of an economic and security deal between Canada and the United States being signed at the G7 would be an extraordinary step.

But she urged Canada to continue finding new trading partners even if the relationship between the two countries begins to smooth over.

"Let's not take our foot off the gas," Smith said.

Former prime minister Joe Clark was to give the closing keynote speech.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says Canada needs to retaliate against American tariffs by targeting U.S. goods Canada can make, does not need or can obtain elsewhere. Poilievre says Canada needs to cut taxes to counteract the domestic impact of tariffs and points to the carbon price, the capital gains tax and income tax.

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect
Canadians say they are ready to use their wallets to fight the trade war with the United States, which began today as President Donald Trump imposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods. Haligonians interviewed today said they are focused on buying Canadian whenever possible, and many said they had already stopped purchasing American products, as Trump had been threatening tariffs for months.

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect

How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs

How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs
Canada is immediately imposing 25 per cent retaliatory tariffs on $30 billion worth of American products, and will expand that to cover another $125 billion in U.S. goods in 21 days. Here’s how political, business and union leaders reacted Tuesday.

How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs

The trade war is on between Canada and the U.S. Here's what you need to know

The trade war is on between Canada and the U.S. Here's what you need to know
A trade war between Canada and its largest trading partner has begun, with tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump now in effect and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau responding with a package of retaliatory tariffs. Stocks are tumbling, businesses are warning of impending layoffs and further measures from both countries are likely in the coming days.

The trade war is on between Canada and the U.S. Here's what you need to know

Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute as Trump launches trade war

Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute as Trump launches trade war
Canada has responded with retaliatory tariffs, and markets are falling as investors brace for the economic impact that the duties will have on economies on both sides of the border.  Canadians confused about Trump's plans aren't alone, with the U.S. president at times contradicting himself about his own tariff plans.

Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute as Trump launches trade war

As Trump's trade war begins, his team links his tariff agenda to drug trafficking

As Trump's trade war begins, his team links his tariff agenda to drug trafficking
As market turbulence rattled some Washington lawmakers, U.S. President Donald Trump's closest advisers fanned out to TV news programs Tuesday to claim a link between economywide tariffs on Canada and Mexico and fentanyl trafficking. The president's executive order hitting Canada and Mexico with 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs, with a lower 10 per cent levy on Canadian energy, took effect Tuesday.

As Trump's trade war begins, his team links his tariff agenda to drug trafficking