Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberal government's proposed capital gains tax changes come into effect today

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Jun, 2024 02:48 PM
  • Liberal government's proposed capital gains tax changes come into effect today

The Liberal government's changes to capital gains taxation came into effect Tuesday, despite significant pushback from business and physicians' groups.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland's spring budget proposed making two-thirds of capital gains — the profit made on the sale of assets such as a secondary residence or stocks — taxable, rather than one-half.

For individuals' capital gains of $250,000 or less, the inclusion rate would remain the same, at 50 per cent.

At a time when the Liberals are looking to woo back young voters, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has pitched the effective tax increase as a way to deliver generational fairness. 

The Liberal government says the $19.4 billion it expects to raise in five years due to the changes will help pay for housing and other priorities for young people.

Freeland introduced a standalone motion on the changes, which easily passed the House of Commons earlier this month. 

The NDP, Bloc Québécois and Greens voted with the Liberals in favour of the motion while the Conservatives, who had been silent on the tax changes until then, voted against it.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre insisted the wealthy will find ways to move their money out of Canada to avoid paying the tax, which will negatively affect farmers, small businesses, doctors and homebuilders.

The changes have sparked backlash from business groups who say that the higher inclusion rate will hurt the economy by lessening competition and innovation.

Physicians' groups have spoken out against it as well, noting that many doctors have used their incorporated medical practices to invest and save for retirement.

But the Liberals have brushed off the opposition, arguing that only a small portion of wealthy Canadians will face a higher tax bill. 

During a speech earlier this month, Freeland questioned Canada's wealthiest on what kind of country they want to live in. The finance minister painted a bleak picture of the alternative to hiking taxes and increasing spending on health care and social services.

"Do you want to live in a country where those at the very top live lives of luxury, but must do so in gated communities behind ever-higher fences using private health care and airplanes because the public sphere is so degraded and the wrath of the vast majority of their less privileged compatriots burns so hot?" Freeland said.

Ottawa estimates that in any given year, 0.13 per cent of Canadians would pay higher taxes on their capital gains.

To encourage entrepreneurship, the government is also proposing the Canadian Entrepreneurs' Incentive, which will reduce the inclusion rate to a third on a lifetime maximum of $2 million in eligible capital gains.

A statement by The International Monetary Fund on June 11, written by IMF staff after concluding a regularly scheduled visit to Canada, was quietly positive about the capital gains change. 

The preliminary concluding statement said the change "improves the tax system’s neutrality with respect to different forms of capital income and is likely to have no significant impact on investment or productivity growth."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Minister launches review of B.C. port strike case to uncover 'structural issues'

Minister launches review of B.C. port strike case to uncover 'structural issues'
Federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan is launching an examination of the recently resolved British Columbia port dispute to see if "structural issues" in negotiations led to a 13-day work stoppage. In a written statement released through social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, O'Regan says officials will immediately begin by reviewing reports on previous, similar disputes.

Minister launches review of B.C. port strike case to uncover 'structural issues'

Firefighter Zak Muise's family grateful for support before Penticton, B.C., memorial

Firefighter Zak Muise's family grateful for support before Penticton, B.C., memorial
The memorial service and a procession are being held today in Penticton home base of the firefighting contractor that Muise worked for. RCMP say Muise, 25, from Waterford, Ont., died on July 28 when his heavy-duty ATV rolled over a steep drop on a gravel road in a remote area about 150 kilometres north of Fort St. John.

Firefighter Zak Muise's family grateful for support before Penticton, B.C., memorial

Police using social media accounts as Meta begins blocking news for Canadians

Police using social media accounts as Meta begins blocking news for Canadians
Saskatchewan RCMP say Meta's decision to remove news links from Facebook and Instagram will affect the way they relay information.  In the coming weeks, police forces won't be able to count on local news popping up in people's social media feeds as they scroll.

Police using social media accounts as Meta begins blocking news for Canadians

Banff Gondola guest says company didn't appear to have a plan when it broke down

Banff Gondola guest says company didn't appear to have a plan when it broke down
Pala Kovacs says she had finished taking photos of the couple, who had eloped in Banff that day, and they were planning to take the gondola back down when they heard it wasn't operating. Kovacs says she had her photography gear and the couple was in their wedding outfits, so they spent about 15 hours at the top until they could be helped off the mountain by helicopter the next morning.

Banff Gondola guest says company didn't appear to have a plan when it broke down

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading
More than 130 properties in or around the southern Okanagan community have been evacuated since the fire jumped the border on July 29, but the orders have been eased as the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is no longer likely to spread.  

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

Ottawa police identify 15 suspects in storming of Senegalese Embassy

Ottawa police identify 15 suspects in storming of Senegalese Embassy
Ottawa police are asking for help identifying 15 people accused of storming the Embassy of Senegal. The Senegalese Embassy says in a statement that people violently took over the premises, causing serious damage to the consular section and hurting staff and visitors.

Ottawa police identify 15 suspects in storming of Senegalese Embassy