Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberal government's proposed capital gains tax changes come into effect today

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Jun, 2024 02:48 PM
  • Liberal government's proposed capital gains tax changes come into effect today

The Liberal government's changes to capital gains taxation came into effect Tuesday, despite significant pushback from business and physicians' groups.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland's spring budget proposed making two-thirds of capital gains — the profit made on the sale of assets such as a secondary residence or stocks — taxable, rather than one-half.

For individuals' capital gains of $250,000 or less, the inclusion rate would remain the same, at 50 per cent.

At a time when the Liberals are looking to woo back young voters, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has pitched the effective tax increase as a way to deliver generational fairness. 

The Liberal government says the $19.4 billion it expects to raise in five years due to the changes will help pay for housing and other priorities for young people.

Freeland introduced a standalone motion on the changes, which easily passed the House of Commons earlier this month. 

The NDP, Bloc Québécois and Greens voted with the Liberals in favour of the motion while the Conservatives, who had been silent on the tax changes until then, voted against it.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre insisted the wealthy will find ways to move their money out of Canada to avoid paying the tax, which will negatively affect farmers, small businesses, doctors and homebuilders.

The changes have sparked backlash from business groups who say that the higher inclusion rate will hurt the economy by lessening competition and innovation.

Physicians' groups have spoken out against it as well, noting that many doctors have used their incorporated medical practices to invest and save for retirement.

But the Liberals have brushed off the opposition, arguing that only a small portion of wealthy Canadians will face a higher tax bill. 

During a speech earlier this month, Freeland questioned Canada's wealthiest on what kind of country they want to live in. The finance minister painted a bleak picture of the alternative to hiking taxes and increasing spending on health care and social services.

"Do you want to live in a country where those at the very top live lives of luxury, but must do so in gated communities behind ever-higher fences using private health care and airplanes because the public sphere is so degraded and the wrath of the vast majority of their less privileged compatriots burns so hot?" Freeland said.

Ottawa estimates that in any given year, 0.13 per cent of Canadians would pay higher taxes on their capital gains.

To encourage entrepreneurship, the government is also proposing the Canadian Entrepreneurs' Incentive, which will reduce the inclusion rate to a third on a lifetime maximum of $2 million in eligible capital gains.

A statement by The International Monetary Fund on June 11, written by IMF staff after concluding a regularly scheduled visit to Canada, was quietly positive about the capital gains change. 

The preliminary concluding statement said the change "improves the tax system’s neutrality with respect to different forms of capital income and is likely to have no significant impact on investment or productivity growth."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Rain, cooler weather could bring relief to B.C. wildfire crews as new fires start

Rain, cooler weather could bring relief to B.C. wildfire crews as new fires start
The wildfire service says more than 200 of those blazes remain out of control, including a small fire northwest of Princeton that was sparked by a malfunctioning ATV but grew quickly, forcing a speedy but safe evacuation of about 1,000 people at a nearby music festival on Sunday night.

Rain, cooler weather could bring relief to B.C. wildfire crews as new fires start

Business groups ask government for labour changes after end of B.C. port dispute

Business groups ask government for labour changes after end of B.C. port dispute
Business groups continued to call on the federal government to take action in the wake of the recently resolved British Columbia port workers dispute on Saturday, arguing Ottawa must ensure such a disruption never happens again. But the federal government is walking a difficult tightrope between the demands of the business community and protecting workers' constitutional rights.

Business groups ask government for labour changes after end of B.C. port dispute

Mounties in Coquitlam seek witnesses to attempted murder in city park

Mounties in Coquitlam seek witnesses to attempted murder in city park
Coquitlam RCMP say they're investigating an altercation between "at least two adult males" in Brookmere Park that occurred around 9:15 in the morning. Investigators say they're looking for more witnesses and any video footage of the altercation, but the nature of what exactly happened remains unknown. 

Mounties in Coquitlam seek witnesses to attempted murder in city park

Edmonton police charge man with attempted murder after unprovoked machete attacks

Edmonton police charge man with attempted murder after unprovoked machete attacks
Bobby-James Lavallee, who is 33, of Prince George, B.C., is charged with attempted murder, four counts of aggravated assault and breaches of conditions. Police are asking for the public’s help to locate the machete as it may still be near the scene.

Edmonton police charge man with attempted murder after unprovoked machete attacks

Cyclospora Outbreak in BC

Cyclospora Outbreak in BC
The B-C Centre for Disease Control says there have been a record high 43 cases of cyclospora infections in the province this year. The illness is from a parasite not found in Canada but the centre says infections are linked to eating contaminated, imported raw produce, especially leafy greens, fresh herbs and berries.

Cyclospora Outbreak in BC

More Osoyoos, B.C., wildfire evacuees can head home as another order lifts

More Osoyoos, B.C., wildfire evacuees can head home as another order lifts
An evacuation order that includes an industrial area in the town has been downgraded to an alert as the threat from the Eagle Bluff wildfire recedes, days after it threatened the town before favourable winds pushed it away. 

More Osoyoos, B.C., wildfire evacuees can head home as another order lifts