Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2025 04:09 PM
  • Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges

Contenders to replace Justin Trudeau as Liberal leader are attempting to one-up each other over how quickly they'd meet Canada's defence spending commitment to NATO.

Both Chrystia Freeland and Karina Gould vowed Thursday to bring Canada's military spending up to the equivalent of two per cent of national GDP by 2027 — five years ahead of Trudeau's timeline and three ahead of rival candidate Mark Carney's plan.

"The world is increasingly volatile and dangerous. We must quickly scale up to defend our sovereignty, meet our international commitments, and support the brave men and women who serve in uniform," Freeland said in a media statement.

Freeland and Gould promised pay hikes for Canadian Armed Forces members. Montreal businessman and rival leadership candidate Frank Baylis said Canada is "underpaying our soldiers."

“Our CAF members are there for us in our time of greatest need," Gould said at a campaign event in Toronto.

Freeland was the most specific of any candidate, pledging a 50 per cent hike in wages for regular force members and better benefits.

Baylis committed on Thursday to reaching the NATO target by 2030, something he pitched in a column in the National Post in July last year.

"We don't want to be wasting money as we get there," he said of the longer time frame. "It's not about just spending money, but it's about spending it intelligently."

Gould said she would also appoint a "procurement czar" to speed up backlogged military purchasing.

Freeland said she would exempt defence procurement from trade tribunal oversight and use the "Urgent Operational Requirement" exemption for all defence procurement until Canada hits the target — effectively dispensing with the normal rules to rush purchases through the system.

The pledges came just a day after Carney promised to meet Canada's NATO commitment by the end of the decade. He did not provide a plan.

Baylis accused Carney on Thursday of "parroting" his column from a year ago that proposed the same 2030 target date.

Prime Minister Trudeau has said his government aims to reach the spending mark by 2032, but the Liberal government has not booked the funding in its fiscal tables.

And two per cent still might not be enough to appease disgruntled American lawmakers. U.S. President Donald Trump has said NATO members should now have to spend five per cent of their GDP on defence — even though the U.S. doesn't spend that much.

Defence Minister Bill Blair and Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne concluded days of meetings with congressional leaders and defence sector businesses in Washington on Thursday.

Blair said on a call from Washington that Canadian officials have been looking into how to speed up the spending time frame for many months now. But it will still take time to complete large bulk purchases, such as the F-35 fighter jets and the submarines the government is considering purchasing.

"The government of Canada still has to make decisions about when it can afford to add this to our fiscal framework because that has to be done in a responsible way," Blair said. "But the Canadian Armed Forces and Department of National Defence will be ready when the government asks us to move forward."

Defence ministers from NATO countries are set to gather in Brussels for meetings next week, and the topic of member nations' defence spending is certain to come up.

"I'm sure that there'll be discussion among all of the NATO allies about the need to do more and to do it more quickly, and we'll be part of those discussions," Blair said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Explosion destroys Calgary townhouse, four people injured

Explosion destroys Calgary townhouse, four people injured
The Calgary Fire Department says investigators are working to find out what caused a townhouse explosion in the city's southeast that injured four people.  Crews were called Thursday afternoon to the Mahogany neighbourhood and, while en route, they saw flames and a large plume of smoke from several blocks away. 

Explosion destroys Calgary townhouse, four people injured

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'
The Xatśull First Nation says it is "disappointed" that British Columbia's Mines Ministry has granted an operating permit for the Cariboo Gold Mine without meeting its leadership or obtaining the nation's consent. The mine is on the nation's territory in central B.C. and it issued a statement earlier this month calling for the project to be halted until the nation had given its consent.

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

New B.C. storm brings 100 km/h winds with some Vancouver Island homes still in dark

New B.C. storm brings 100 km/h winds with some Vancouver Island homes still in dark
BC Hydro is warning customers in remote areas of Vancouver Island that they may be without power until late Saturday, as winds from another powerful storm hit the coast. The latest in a series of fall storms has brought gusts up to 100 km/h but Environment Canada says it isn't as strong as the bomb cyclone that knocked out power to more than 300,000 properties this week.

New B.C. storm brings 100 km/h winds with some Vancouver Island homes still in dark

Jury deliberations begin in trial of human smuggling, frozen migrant family

Jury deliberations begin in trial of human smuggling, frozen migrant family
Jurors began deliberations Friday in the trial of two men accused of human smuggling across the Canada-U.S. border between Manitoba and Minnesota. They are tasked with deciding whether to convict or acquit Steve Shand and Harshkumar Patel on four charges.

Jury deliberations begin in trial of human smuggling, frozen migrant family

Canada Post losses top $300M as strike enters second week

Canada Post losses top $300M as strike enters second week
Canada Post saw hundreds of millions of dollars drain out of its coffers last quarter, due largely to its dwindling share of the parcels market — while an ongoing strike continues to batter its bottom line. The Crown corporation said Friday it lost $315 million before tax in the third quarter, larger than its $290 million loss a year earlier.

Canada Post losses top $300M as strike enters second week

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease
A new case of chronic wasting disease, an incurable illness that has the potential to decimate deer populations, has been identified in British Columbia. The B.C. Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship said the discovery of the infection in a white-tailed deer hunted in the Kootenay region last month brought the total number of confirmed cases in the province to three, after two cases were confirmed in February. 

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease