Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2025 04:09 PM
  • Liberal leadership candidates make rival defence spending pledges

Contenders to replace Justin Trudeau as Liberal leader are attempting to one-up each other over how quickly they'd meet Canada's defence spending commitment to NATO.

Both Chrystia Freeland and Karina Gould vowed Thursday to bring Canada's military spending up to the equivalent of two per cent of national GDP by 2027 — five years ahead of Trudeau's timeline and three ahead of rival candidate Mark Carney's plan.

"The world is increasingly volatile and dangerous. We must quickly scale up to defend our sovereignty, meet our international commitments, and support the brave men and women who serve in uniform," Freeland said in a media statement.

Freeland and Gould promised pay hikes for Canadian Armed Forces members. Montreal businessman and rival leadership candidate Frank Baylis said Canada is "underpaying our soldiers."

“Our CAF members are there for us in our time of greatest need," Gould said at a campaign event in Toronto.

Freeland was the most specific of any candidate, pledging a 50 per cent hike in wages for regular force members and better benefits.

Baylis committed on Thursday to reaching the NATO target by 2030, something he pitched in a column in the National Post in July last year.

"We don't want to be wasting money as we get there," he said of the longer time frame. "It's not about just spending money, but it's about spending it intelligently."

Gould said she would also appoint a "procurement czar" to speed up backlogged military purchasing.

Freeland said she would exempt defence procurement from trade tribunal oversight and use the "Urgent Operational Requirement" exemption for all defence procurement until Canada hits the target — effectively dispensing with the normal rules to rush purchases through the system.

The pledges came just a day after Carney promised to meet Canada's NATO commitment by the end of the decade. He did not provide a plan.

Baylis accused Carney on Thursday of "parroting" his column from a year ago that proposed the same 2030 target date.

Prime Minister Trudeau has said his government aims to reach the spending mark by 2032, but the Liberal government has not booked the funding in its fiscal tables.

And two per cent still might not be enough to appease disgruntled American lawmakers. U.S. President Donald Trump has said NATO members should now have to spend five per cent of their GDP on defence — even though the U.S. doesn't spend that much.

Defence Minister Bill Blair and Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne concluded days of meetings with congressional leaders and defence sector businesses in Washington on Thursday.

Blair said on a call from Washington that Canadian officials have been looking into how to speed up the spending time frame for many months now. But it will still take time to complete large bulk purchases, such as the F-35 fighter jets and the submarines the government is considering purchasing.

"The government of Canada still has to make decisions about when it can afford to add this to our fiscal framework because that has to be done in a responsible way," Blair said. "But the Canadian Armed Forces and Department of National Defence will be ready when the government asks us to move forward."

Defence ministers from NATO countries are set to gather in Brussels for meetings next week, and the topic of member nations' defence spending is certain to come up.

"I'm sure that there'll be discussion among all of the NATO allies about the need to do more and to do it more quickly, and we'll be part of those discussions," Blair said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?
A new storm system is bearing down on British Columbia and is expected to bring another blast of potentially damaging winds, as the province continues to clean up from this week's powerful bomb cyclone. Environment Canada has issued a fresh round of special weather statements ahead of the storm's expected arrival on Friday, covering Vancouver Island, the Sunshine and Central coasts, and Howe Sound where winds up to 90 km/h are forecast.

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?

Car theft in Prince George

Car theft in Prince George
Prince George R-C-M-P want to identify a suspect in a theft on Monday from a car in a local parking lot. Police say he a took a bag containing clothing and other personal items worth over one-thousand-dollars in the lot in the 300-block of Victoria Street.

Car theft in Prince George

Early ski season for resorts

Early ski season for resorts
Several ski resorts across B-C -- including Whistler-Blackcomb, Big White and Cypress Mountain -- are starting their season early thanks to fresh powder. Big White says the resort outside Kelowna is set to open tomorrow, six days ahead of schedule, with an alpine base of 104-centimetres.

Early ski season for resorts

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed
An operating permit has been granted for the Cariboo Gold Mine in central British Columbia, a project that's expected to process 1.1 million tonnes of gold-bearing ore a year but is still opposed by a First Nation. The B.C. government says in a news release that Barkerville Gold Mines, owned by Osisko Development Corp., was issued the permit for the underground mine in a process that took 13 months to complete. 

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued
The Canada Border Services Agency provided the figures after being asked about a lawsuit against it by a Victoria solar firm, which says a shipment of solar panels worth more than $5 million was wrongfully detained over false suspicions they were made with forced labour in China. 

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued

Consul general reiterates he had no influence on $9M Manhattan condo purchase

Consul general reiterates he had no influence on $9M Manhattan condo purchase
Tom Clark was summoned back to testify before a parliamentary committee looking into the purchase after media reports earlier this month indicated he had raised concerns about the former residence, despite previously saying he never expressed a desire to move into a new one.

Consul general reiterates he had no influence on $9M Manhattan condo purchase