Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberals Target Scheer Over Cash-For-Access Fundraisers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Jan, 2019 09:15 PM

    OTTAWA — The federal Liberal party is looking to turn the tables on the Conservatives over so-called cash-for-access fundraisers.


    Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is expected to attend a fundraiser at the Toronto home of Sen. Linda Frum, which has been rescheduled from Tuesday to next week because of the weather.


    The Conservatives roasted Trudeau in 2016 over fundraisers where the prime minister and his cabinet attended exclusive parties in private homes, where people paid up to $1,550 — the maximum the law allows in annual donations to one party — to rub shoulders with ministers.


    In response, the Liberals started allowing the media to be present at their party events and releasing lists of attendees afterward.


    In a statement Tuesday morning, Small Business Minister Mary Ng accused Scheer of doing the same thing his party once abhorred.


    Ng said Scheer should allow journalists to attend the event at Frum's home or face questions about "who is lobbying him or what promises he's making in secret."


    Cory Hann, a Conservative party spokesman, said the meet-and-greet is in line with Elections Canada rules. The guest list includes donors and non-donors, he said, and the event itself is free.


    He said the party will accommodate media coverage of fundraisers when possible, "and if the size, location, or any other variables allow for it, we will always open the event for Mr. Scheer's remarks."


    New rules that came into effect Jan. 1 require parties to disclose fundraising events to Elections Canada, which then publicly posts the details of where and when they're held, followed later by a report on how much the party raked in. The rules apply to events attended by ministers, party leaders or leadership candidates.


    The event at Frum's is the first fundraising event the Conservative are reporting under the new regime.


    The Liberals have reported six events, including one scheduled for Friday at Toronto's Fairmont Royal York hotel.


    Last week, the Conservatives reported that preliminary fundraising figures show they raised $24 million in 2018 from more than 49,000 donors.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Dead Saskatoon Tattoo Artist's Skin Removed, Preserved To Honour His Work

    SASKATOON — When Chris Wenzel knew he was going to die, he had an unusual request for his wife.

    Dead Saskatoon Tattoo Artist's Skin Removed, Preserved To Honour His Work

    B.C. Man Trapped In Truck For Several Days Recovers In Victoria Hospital

    A 23-year-old Vancouver Island man is recovering in a Victoria hospital after his truck went off a cliff and he was pinned in the vehicle with a broken femur for several days.

    B.C. Man Trapped In Truck For Several Days Recovers In Victoria Hospital

    Toronto 'Carding' Activist Desmond Cole Stopped By Police In Vancouver

    VANCOUVER — A Toronto activist and writer who was stopped by Vancouver police a day after arriving in the city says his experience reveals what daily life is like for black and Indigenous residents.

    Toronto 'Carding' Activist Desmond Cole Stopped By Police In Vancouver

    Mounties Arrest Two Vancouver Men After Supermarket Reports $1,400 Butter Caper

     Two Vancouver men are facing charges of theft after RCMP in Coquitlam, B.C., say they arrested the pair for allegedly stealing a shopping cart loaded with $1,400 worth of butter.

    Mounties Arrest Two Vancouver Men After Supermarket Reports $1,400 Butter Caper

    Federal MPs Denounce B.C. Group’s Hateful Facebook Post Targeting Harjit Singh Sajjan

    Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says he was heartened to see Conservative MPs denouncing a hateful Facebook post that targeted him.

    Federal MPs Denounce B.C. Group’s Hateful Facebook Post Targeting Harjit Singh Sajjan

    Two Men And A Woman Arrested In Fraudulent Credit Card Operation In Surrey

    Two Men And A Woman Arrested In Fraudulent Credit Card Operation In Surrey
    In October 2018 the Surrey RCMP’s Property Crime Target Team (PCTT) and Economic Crime Unit (ECU) began an investigation into mail theft and fraud associated to a residence in the 6100 block of 175A Street in Surrey.

    Two Men And A Woman Arrested In Fraudulent Credit Card Operation In Surrey