Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberals Target Scheer Over Cash-For-Access Fundraisers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Jan, 2019 09:15 PM

    OTTAWA — The federal Liberal party is looking to turn the tables on the Conservatives over so-called cash-for-access fundraisers.


    Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is expected to attend a fundraiser at the Toronto home of Sen. Linda Frum, which has been rescheduled from Tuesday to next week because of the weather.


    The Conservatives roasted Trudeau in 2016 over fundraisers where the prime minister and his cabinet attended exclusive parties in private homes, where people paid up to $1,550 — the maximum the law allows in annual donations to one party — to rub shoulders with ministers.


    In response, the Liberals started allowing the media to be present at their party events and releasing lists of attendees afterward.


    In a statement Tuesday morning, Small Business Minister Mary Ng accused Scheer of doing the same thing his party once abhorred.


    Ng said Scheer should allow journalists to attend the event at Frum's home or face questions about "who is lobbying him or what promises he's making in secret."


    Cory Hann, a Conservative party spokesman, said the meet-and-greet is in line with Elections Canada rules. The guest list includes donors and non-donors, he said, and the event itself is free.


    He said the party will accommodate media coverage of fundraisers when possible, "and if the size, location, or any other variables allow for it, we will always open the event for Mr. Scheer's remarks."


    New rules that came into effect Jan. 1 require parties to disclose fundraising events to Elections Canada, which then publicly posts the details of where and when they're held, followed later by a report on how much the party raked in. The rules apply to events attended by ministers, party leaders or leadership candidates.


    The event at Frum's is the first fundraising event the Conservative are reporting under the new regime.


    The Liberals have reported six events, including one scheduled for Friday at Toronto's Fairmont Royal York hotel.


    Last week, the Conservatives reported that preliminary fundraising figures show they raised $24 million in 2018 from more than 49,000 donors.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Trial Begins For Woman Accused Of Killing Her Two Young Daughters

    Trial Begins For Woman Accused Of Killing Her Two Young Daughters
    LAVAL, Que. — When her two daughters were found dead in the family playroom on March 31, 2009, dressed in their school uniforms, Adele Sorella was going through a difficult time, a jury heard Monday.

    Trial Begins For Woman Accused Of Killing Her Two Young Daughters

    A Fine, No Jail Time For Canadian Charged With Vandalizing Historic Thai Wall

    A Canadian woman who was arrested in northern Thailand for spraying paint on an ancient wall has avoided more jail time, but must still pay a $4,000 fine for her actions.

    A Fine, No Jail Time For Canadian Charged With Vandalizing Historic Thai Wall

    New $10 Bill Featuring Viola Desmond Goes Into Circulation Next Week

    New $10 Bill Featuring Viola Desmond Goes Into Circulation Next Week
    HALIFAX — A new $10 banknote featuring Viola Desmond's portrait will go into circulation in a week, just over 72 years after she was ousted from the whites-only section of a movie theatre in New Glasgow, N.S.

    New $10 Bill Featuring Viola Desmond Goes Into Circulation Next Week

    Canadian Forces Safe After Attack In Mali; Jihadists Claim Responsibility

    Canadian Forces Safe After Attack In Mali; Jihadists Claim Responsibility
    GAO, Mali — A car-bomb explosion in northern Mali killed three civilians on Monday, and one group reportedly claimed that Canadian soldiers and other foreign forces were targeted.

    Canadian Forces Safe After Attack In Mali; Jihadists Claim Responsibility

    New Affordable Homes For Middle-Income Earners Coming To 42 Communities In B.C.

    New Affordable Homes For Middle-Income Earners Coming To 42 Communities In B.C.
    VANCOUVER — The British Columbia government is funding 4,900 new affordable rental units to be built in the next three years as part of its efforts to tackle a housing crisis across the province.

    New Affordable Homes For Middle-Income Earners Coming To 42 Communities In B.C.

    Second-Degree Murder Charge After Nov. 4 Death Of Port Coquitlam Man

    Second-Degree Murder Charge After Nov. 4 Death Of Port Coquitlam Man
    A charge of second-degree murder has been laid following a slaying in Port Coquitlam, B.C.

    Second-Degree Murder Charge After Nov. 4 Death Of Port Coquitlam Man