Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Liberals Target Scheer Over Cash-For-Access Fundraisers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Jan, 2019 09:15 PM

    OTTAWA — The federal Liberal party is looking to turn the tables on the Conservatives over so-called cash-for-access fundraisers.


    Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is expected to attend a fundraiser at the Toronto home of Sen. Linda Frum, which has been rescheduled from Tuesday to next week because of the weather.


    The Conservatives roasted Trudeau in 2016 over fundraisers where the prime minister and his cabinet attended exclusive parties in private homes, where people paid up to $1,550 — the maximum the law allows in annual donations to one party — to rub shoulders with ministers.


    In response, the Liberals started allowing the media to be present at their party events and releasing lists of attendees afterward.


    In a statement Tuesday morning, Small Business Minister Mary Ng accused Scheer of doing the same thing his party once abhorred.


    Ng said Scheer should allow journalists to attend the event at Frum's home or face questions about "who is lobbying him or what promises he's making in secret."


    Cory Hann, a Conservative party spokesman, said the meet-and-greet is in line with Elections Canada rules. The guest list includes donors and non-donors, he said, and the event itself is free.


    He said the party will accommodate media coverage of fundraisers when possible, "and if the size, location, or any other variables allow for it, we will always open the event for Mr. Scheer's remarks."


    New rules that came into effect Jan. 1 require parties to disclose fundraising events to Elections Canada, which then publicly posts the details of where and when they're held, followed later by a report on how much the party raked in. The rules apply to events attended by ministers, party leaders or leadership candidates.


    The event at Frum's is the first fundraising event the Conservative are reporting under the new regime.


    The Liberals have reported six events, including one scheduled for Friday at Toronto's Fairmont Royal York hotel.


    Last week, the Conservatives reported that preliminary fundraising figures show they raised $24 million in 2018 from more than 49,000 donors.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Justin Trudeau Lays Down Challenge To Companies In Bid To Boost Trade With Asia

    Justin Trudeau Lays Down Challenge To Companies In Bid To Boost Trade With Asia
    It was Trudeau's first event after landing in Asia. It sets the stage for what the Liberals hope will be a clearer picture of how to pursue freer trade with a 10-nation bloc of major suppliers and customers, which includes Singapore.

    Justin Trudeau Lays Down Challenge To Companies In Bid To Boost Trade With Asia

    Eyes On Surrey, B.C., As It Moves To Replace RCMP With Local Police Force

    With that growth, the longtime resident said he's concerned about gun violence involving youth, even as the RCMP says overall crime is on the decline.

    Eyes On Surrey, B.C., As It Moves To Replace RCMP With Local Police Force

    Justin Trudeau Says Canada In Talks With Pakistan Over Asia Bibi

    Justin Trudeau Says Canada In Talks With Pakistan Over Asia Bibi
    The federal government is talking with Pakistan about the possibilty of bringing a Pakistani woman, who was recently released from death row, to Canada.

    Justin Trudeau Says Canada In Talks With Pakistan Over Asia Bibi

    19-Year-Old Man Shot Dead In Abbotsford

    On Monday, November 12, 2018, at 3:30 pm, Abbotsford emergency services were called to the intersection of Simpson Rd and Ross Rd for reports of a shooting.

    19-Year-Old Man Shot Dead In Abbotsford

    RCMP Blasts Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum For Using Fatal Shooting Of 22-Yr-Old To Make Political Point

    RCMP Deputy Commissioner Brenda Butterworth-Carr, Commanding Officer of the BC RCMP, is criticizing Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum’s media release on Friday’s deadly shooting in the 14200-block of 70A Avenue in Surrey.

    RCMP Blasts Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum For Using Fatal Shooting Of 22-Yr-Old To Make Political Point

    U.S. Judge Blocks Construction Of $10-Billion Keystone XL Pipeline

    U.S. Judge Blocks Construction Of $10-Billion Keystone XL Pipeline
    GREAT FALLS, Mont. — TransCanada's $10-billion Keystone XL pipeline project has suffered another setback after a U.S. federal judge blocked its construction to allow more time to study the potential environmental impact.

    U.S. Judge Blocks Construction Of $10-Billion Keystone XL Pipeline