Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Libraries say budget proposal to end shipping program would be 'catastrophic'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Dec, 2025 10:03 AM
  • Libraries say budget proposal to end shipping program would be 'catastrophic'

Libraries across Canada say a proposed change in the federal budget bill would end their ability to ship books at reduced rates, threatening interlibrary loan programs and possibly forcing the closure of rural facilities.

Bill C-15 removes a clause in Canada Post legislation providing reduced postage rates for books and other materials mailed between libraries or to library users. The bill proposes that Canada Post set its own rates, without having to seek Ottawa's approval.

Canada Post promised Thursday to maintain the program, sometimes known as the library book rate. But Mary Chevreau, with the Canadian Urban Libraries Council, said the commitment isn't enough.

Chevreau wants the program to remain enshrined in legislation, rather than repealed.

"If (Canada Post) sets a rate that libraries can't afford it will actually not only kill interlibrary loans, but it could actually close libraries," she said in an interview.

The budget bill contains significant changes to Canada Post legislation as the Crown corporation faces mounting financial losses. In proposing that Canada Post set it own postage rates, the bill also removes a clause allowing Canadians and organizations to send and receive books, letters and other materials used by people who are blind without paying any postage.

Canada Post has also said it would not end that program, prompting advocates to demand that it, too, remain enshrined in the Canada Post Corporation Act.

Canada Post CEO Doug Ettinger said the library book rate is an important policy "that we will continue to honour without question." 

It would be against Canada Post's "basic values" to eliminate the book rate, and free postage for materials for people who are blind, Ettinger told a House of Commons' standing committee on Thursday.

Public Services and Procurement Canada also promised to maintain the library book rate in a statement Thursday, saying Canada Post "would continue to receive compensation" for the program.

However, Canada Post said it receives "no appropriation or compensation of any kind from the government to offset this reduced postage rate," according to an email from spokesperson Lisa Liu.

Laura Emery, chief executive of the Eastern Counties Regional Library in Nova Scotia, said she would also like the provision for the library book rate to remain in the legislation.

"There's a reason why it was in there in the first place, right?" Emery said in an interview. "You have to have things in the legislation to protect them long term."

She said the network of libraries in the Eastern Counties Regional Library system circulated nearly 6,000 items to people last year through its borrow by mail programs.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, the St. John’s Public Libraries Board said losing the rate program would be "catastrophic" for rural libraries and literacy in the province.

Public libraries in Newfoundland and Labrador sent nearly 214,000 items to residents across the province last year using the library book rate, the board said in a press release Thursday.

Chevreau said the library book rate covers about 90 per cent of shipping costs for eligible libraries and materials. Roughly 30,000 items are sent each month across the country through the book rate, she said.

The government did not consult libraries about the changes in Bill C-15, she added.

"We understand there are challenges with the Canada Post Corporation," she said. "But I would argue that … these rates, in the big scheme of things, are a drop in the bucket, a rounding error, for Canada Post."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

MORE National ARTICLES

9-year-old girl dies in car crash

9-year-old girl dies in car crash
On Friday Calgary Police laid nearly a dozen charges on 30-year-old Duane Arlen John Nepoose, including dangerous driving causing death, three counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm and fleeing from police.

9-year-old girl dies in car crash

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls
British Columbia's emergency call service has released its annual list of the most unusual and inappropriate 911 calls, including complaints about overripe fruit and an overly fragrant neighbour. E-Comm says it handles about 2 million calls a year but not all of them qualify as emergencies.

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital
Police in Port Moody say a charge of assault causing bodily harm has been approved against a 41-year-old man with no fixed address. He is scheduled to appear in court in Port Coquitlam on Feb. 10.

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access
Rogers says in a statement that the new cellular towers along Highway 16 in northern B.C. will cover 166 kilometres where wireless service gaps previously existed. The company says that when the final two out of 11 towers are erected, the new wireless coverage will "ensure continuous coverage" on the entire 720-kilometre stretch of highway from Prince George to Prince Rupert.

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions
The federal government plans to extend the deadline for claiming charitable donations on tax returns through to the end of February. The announcement from Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc comes nearly a week after the premiers called on Justin Trudeau's government to make the move.

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions

Police issue alert for armed suspect in Calgary killings of woman and her father

Police issue alert for armed suspect in Calgary killings of woman and her father
Police issued an emergency alert Monday in the search for an armed and dangerous suspect in a double homicide in Calgary. Insp. Lee Wayne with the major crimes unit said 38-year-old Benedict Kaminski was wanted in the killings. He urged residents to be vigilant and not open their doors to strangers.

Police issue alert for armed suspect in Calgary killings of woman and her father