Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Jan, 2022 05:38 PM
  • Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

British Columbia's seniors advocate is asking the province to designate one person as an essential visitor for every long-term care resident as the facilities move to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Isobel Mackenzie says in a news release that the need to limit visitors has left a majority of long-term care residents without visits from loved ones.

The province announced last week that visits to long-term care and assisted living facilities would be limited to essential visitors in response to the fast-spreading Omicron variant and would be re-evaluated Jan. 18.

Mackenzie says the process for determining if a resident meets the criteria to have a designated essential visitor is made by the administrator of the facility on a case-by-case basis.

She says essential visitors often give vital support care to seniors, especially as these places face staff absences of up to 30 per cent because of COVID-19.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry agreed during her weekly briefing on Tuesday that visitors in care homes are essential, saying that once rapid tests are deployed in each facility, they'll go back to allowing every resident to have a designated social visitor and an essential visitor.

The federal government said Wednesday that it would be distributing 140 million rapid tests to provinces and territories this month.

A recommendation made by the Office of the Seniors Advocate in November 2020 said all residents must be provided the opportunity to designate an essential visitor.

MacKenzie says her office has received calls from family members, including spouses, who say they can no longer visit, even though they are helping care for the senior.

"They help to feed their loved one, get them dressed, take them for walks, and keep them engaged," she says.

"For many residents, these visitors are the only people who can motivate them to engage in any activities, and yet they are not formally recognized as essential."

MORE National ARTICLES

64 year old in custody after alleged shooting in Richmond

64 year old in custody after alleged shooting in Richmond
The suspect, a 64-year old man from Richmond, was located and arrested a short time later. Investigators are now looking for dash-cam video that may have recorded the suspect’s vehicle in various locations as the events transpired. 

64 year old in custody after alleged shooting in Richmond

4 investigations tied to alleged drug trafficking with drugs found in suspect's underwear: Surrey RCMP

4 investigations tied to alleged drug trafficking with drugs found in suspect's underwear: Surrey RCMP
One of the suspect had gone so far as to sew a pocket into their undies, specifically for hiding illicit drugs. In total officers seized 11 grams of methamphetamine, 31 grams of cocaine, 7.81 grams of fentanyl and over $8000 in cash. All four of the vehicles were seized as offence related property.    

4 investigations tied to alleged drug trafficking with drugs found in suspect's underwear: Surrey RCMP

Vancouver home sales plateau after highs in March

Vancouver home sales plateau after highs in March
The board says new homes have continued to be built during the pandemic, with a specific focus on projects for the rental market. It says Metro Vancouver's job market continues to recover, but the recovery will be slower in the future.

Vancouver home sales plateau after highs in March

Man killed in Vancouver Downtown shooting at Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel identified as Amandeep Manj.

Man killed in Vancouver Downtown shooting at Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel identified as Amandeep Manj.
The 35-year-old was found dead in a vehicle in the underground parkade of the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel yesterday afternoon. Officers and paramedics attended and he was pronounced dead on scene.

Man killed in Vancouver Downtown shooting at Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel identified as Amandeep Manj.

Five Eyes ties still strong, Canada insists

Five Eyes ties still strong, Canada insists
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the agreement will have no impact on the Five Eyes partnership, which comprises the three AUKUS players, plus Canada and New Zealand.    

Five Eyes ties still strong, Canada insists

COVID-19 vaccines given new monikers in Canada

COVID-19 vaccines given new monikers in Canada
Health Canada points out the vaccines themselves are not changing — only the names are. The new names are already being used for promotional purposes in the EU and the United States.

COVID-19 vaccines given new monikers in Canada