Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Jan, 2022 05:38 PM
  • Long-term residents left without visits: advocate

British Columbia's seniors advocate is asking the province to designate one person as an essential visitor for every long-term care resident as the facilities move to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Isobel Mackenzie says in a news release that the need to limit visitors has left a majority of long-term care residents without visits from loved ones.

The province announced last week that visits to long-term care and assisted living facilities would be limited to essential visitors in response to the fast-spreading Omicron variant and would be re-evaluated Jan. 18.

Mackenzie says the process for determining if a resident meets the criteria to have a designated essential visitor is made by the administrator of the facility on a case-by-case basis.

She says essential visitors often give vital support care to seniors, especially as these places face staff absences of up to 30 per cent because of COVID-19.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry agreed during her weekly briefing on Tuesday that visitors in care homes are essential, saying that once rapid tests are deployed in each facility, they'll go back to allowing every resident to have a designated social visitor and an essential visitor.

The federal government said Wednesday that it would be distributing 140 million rapid tests to provinces and territories this month.

A recommendation made by the Office of the Seniors Advocate in November 2020 said all residents must be provided the opportunity to designate an essential visitor.

MacKenzie says her office has received calls from family members, including spouses, who say they can no longer visit, even though they are helping care for the senior.

"They help to feed their loved one, get them dressed, take them for walks, and keep them engaged," she says.

"For many residents, these visitors are the only people who can motivate them to engage in any activities, and yet they are not formally recognized as essential."

MORE National ARTICLES

Alberta schools scramble to meet new COVID rules

Alberta schools scramble to meet new COVID rules
The schools include University of Alberta and MacEwan University in Edmonton, the University of Lethbridge, Mount Royal University in Calgary and the University of Calgary.

Alberta schools scramble to meet new COVID rules

Killed a family: Mass murderer denied parole

Killed a family: Mass murderer denied parole
David Shearing, who now goes by the name David Ennis, shot and killed George and Edith Bentley; their daughter, Jackie; and her husband Bob Johnson, while the family was on a camping trip in 1982 near Wells Gray Provincial Park, about 120 kilometres north of Kamloops, B.C.

Killed a family: Mass murderer denied parole

New MPs must take sexual-harassment training

New MPs must take sexual-harassment training
The awareness course will educate new MPs on what counts as harassment — and how to take steps to prevent it. The course, paid for by the House of Commons, will address many forms of harassment, as well as violence prevention and the abuse of power by MPs.

New MPs must take sexual-harassment training

Long-term water advisory lifted for First Nation

Long-term water advisory lifted for First Nation
The federal government said a long-term boil-water advisory for the community, which was issued in 1998 and was one of the longest in Canada, had been lifted.    

Long-term water advisory lifted for First Nation

Homicide investigators join search for missing mom

Homicide investigators join search for missing mom
The 40-year-old woman is a kindergarten teacher and mother of an 18-month-old daughter. He says the homicide team is asking for patience as the investigation continues and that Onotera's family has also asked for privacy.

Homicide investigators join search for missing mom

661 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

661 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix said that there are 5,791 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. Of the active cases, 288 individuals are currently hospitalized, 137 of whom are in ICU. 

661 COVID19 cases for Wednesday